new member help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member help needed

This has been discussed to death but I'm still scrathing my head and every tool in the toolbox is on the floor around the bike!I bought a 79sf off e-bay in march$2000anyways took the greyhound 2 1/2 days from st.cloud Mn to Atlanta georgia bought it off the trailer at 4am drove about 350-400 miles a day till I got back home.This thing has all the new updates,metal brake lines,force forks,4into2exhaust blah blah blah.I love this old warhorse(clyde) top heavy and fast.As compared to my 87 kawa1500vulcan.so heres my problem It won't start! I know I know pickup coils.done it it worked for two days,I have a complete twin for parts And another yam 1100 for parts anyways changed plugs,took battery to be checked,when it died it just slowly faded to nothing.barely restarted but when I shut the bike off it never restarted,Now I'm not a mechanic by any means but I can twist a wrench and follow simple directions.Somebody guide me to the articles that are relevant(i lookd didnot find)or give me some advice.I love this bike.don't have a multimeter have a continuity checker thingy.Please Help.

If you did the pick-up coils and it worked for two days, try doing the pick-up coils again. Lots of times, if you find one break, there will be more.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Clyderider,
      Welcome aboard.
      Hang in there ! The guru's will be along shortly.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

See it took me so long to type a reply a guru turned up
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Multi-meter (only $10.00 for cheep analog)

Would first check if it's getting any spark.
          Pull the plugs, stick em back into caps, ground on engine and crank it... (make sure plug caps are not corroded)

NO spark, would re-check pick up coil wires.
          They good, then check tech tips for checking the coils,
          then TCI etc..

Got spark, then need to check fuel.

mro
          btw, battery voltage, if drops to low 10 volts when cranking
          TCI will not fire plugs
          Last edited by mro; 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

It can be frustrating when you keep getting the same advise over and over again, I know. However, when you say you did the pick up coils, what did you do? Did you change them out with the ones on your part bike or did you do the repair in the tech tips section?
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I did a complete replacement after cafefully checking all connections and wires,this bike runs fantastic and has from day one now....boohooo it sits till I can figure out a solution I will redo the coils when weather and time permits,down for winter now cold storage no electricity/light.be back in the spring for more advice,thanks all.

Comment

Working...
              X