X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Start Today

Couldn't get the bike started today.

Temps were below 30. Using 10w30 oil.

Starter catches then spins. Tried so many times that the battery is now weak. I'll have to charge it.

Questions: I've had the spinning starter before, but that's when I was using 20w50 oil. It cleared up when it got warmer. I was told that the thinner oil with the cold temps was the culprit before. Is 10w30 still too thin?

I've killed this battery because of several idiot factors at least four times before. I'm sure I need a new one. Could this be the cause?

What about the sparkpugs making it hard to start?

I'm most concerned that the starter needs to be replaced. I get the "strangled goose" sometimes when it starts normally. Could this be an issue?
    Last edited by malber; 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM.
    1981 XS1100SH

i have the same problem when it is very cold outside
    the starter just spins

never does it in the warm weather

and i bought my bike new back in 78 and it did it then too

dealer said it was the cold weather
    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
    79F Parts
    80G Parts
    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

I was bummed. I didn't really look forward to sub-freezing temps and wind-chill on the super-slab to work, but with gas prices such as they are the XS is the only vehicle with a full tank.
      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I bought one of those 70 amp 'booseter' battery chargers. If I run the battery down I use the booster with it and can start no problem.

IF for some reason that doesn't work, I go to plan B. I wheel the bike over to whichever car is closest, and boost it with the car. I don't start the car, just use it's battery.

Motorcycles are not designed to start at or below freezing.

My Shadow would crank over happily for about 5 minutes at 0C (32F) but it would rarely start. I made myself a short set of booster cables, and in the cold months I carried my girlfriend's KZ battery around in my saddlebag. I would take the battery in the house at night, put it on the trickle charger, and take it back out with me in the morning. I would boost once each day, after that the bike could start on it's own, even after sitting all day while I was in school.

My CB750-4K was different. I would crank it on the electric start for about 10 seconds, then use the kickstart, and it would start every time, first kick, but it didn't like to start on the electric at temps below freezing.

My theory is that below a certain point, the starter system takes everything the little battery has just to turn the motor over, leaving very little for spark. Having the spare battery, or boosting with the charger and they start every time.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hmm, wonder if my work will allow a trickle charger under my desk.

Probably not, they've outlawed crock pots and coffee makers.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

To plug the bike in or to charge a 2nd battery?

If everyone else plugs in a block heater or battery blanket, I don't see why you couldn't plug in your charger.

I found I only needed the extra battery once per day, first thing in the morning. Once I had the bike started, that once, it would start for the rest of the day on it's own.

That's why i would take Christine's battery in the house with me, at night, and charge it up overnight.

'05 ST1300

Comment

The concern is not getting stranded at work. It's about as cold when I leave work as when I start out in the morning.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

if you have a hill where you live
                you can push start it
                no strain on the starter
                but if it doesn't start its a long way pushing up the hill
                turn on switch put it in 4th gear and roll it down thw hill
                when you are moving at a good rate let out the clutch
                79F Parts
                80G Parts
                75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

did i mention hold on tight
                  when she fires, she will want to go
                  especially with the choke on and in 4th gear
                  79F Parts
                  80G Parts
                  75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

The problem is the starter clutch. The cold, thick oil isn't allowing the rollers in the clutch to fully engage when the starter is spun. I used to ride when the temps got that cold, but no more. I use 20w50 all the time and never had a problem with the starter. The starter clutch can't be removed and serviced with out splitting the cases.

Comment

In the old days

We would build a fire under the mule to make him start, LOL but warming the oil will make that starter clutch work. Easy to do in the garage with SWMBO's hair dryer, but in the parking lot at work would not be easy.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

As I said, I never got stranded at work (school in my case) It started fine at the end of the day. It was only first thing in the morning when it was stiff, probably because it had sat for 12+ hours through the coldest part of the night.

However, I always had the extra battery, in the saddlebag, just in case.

The bike did not need much extra to start. It did not need a full 'boost' just a little more power to get a decent spark.

The battery I used to boost mine was out of a KZ400.

Also, I've never run 20W-50 in ANYTHING! I've never seen any vehicle that ever even recommended oil that thick.

I use 15w-40 severe service, low ash oil. Year round. There are several threads about oil explaining why.
                        Last edited by Crazcnuk; 11-12-2007, 07:33 PM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

A most opportune time to see this thread.
                          warmed up to 8ºC this afternoon and I had to move the rig out of the garage to get the ladder to put up the Christmas lights before it gets any effin' colder.
                          Even with the rig's big ol' car battery the starter tried a little of it's whirr to nowhere trick before it bit and the bike started.
                          And I gotta go somewhere early tomorrow morning. Rightaway now I will deke down to the garage to put on my trickle charger so the bike will fire up OK.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Heh, try turning on the heater in the garage!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Hi Craz,
                              yeah, I could have done that to start out but I needed the battery fully charged
                              (charging system is OK but the rig ain't seen much recent use) to give the engine it's best chance of starting after being sat in a cold windswept parking lot all morning. The plan worked! The starter hooked up and cranked and the engine fired up OK. The TV claimed 8ºC but I think that was a lie, it felt to be about freezing point and the plow wind seemed to cut right through my Belstaff jacket when I was standing still, never mind when I was riding. Brrrrrrrrrrr.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X