Fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sending unit

Can a fuel sending unit be repaired or does it have to be replaced. If replacement is the only option I am in the market for one for and 82 XJ1100.
    '82 XJ1100
    '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

Pull it out?
    May just need to be cleaned.
    Gaskets seem to be pretty robust and should be re-useable.

mro
    btw, are you sure it's the sender and not the wireing?

Comment

sender

take it out spray elc. ceaner move float arm till you can't stand then connect to omh meter and do it some more when needle moves smoth it's good to go.
      or as we say where i live it's good in the hood
      as ever bill
      bill hane

Comment

sending unit wiring

I am getting juice to the connector to the sender. So I am relatively sure that it is the sending unit. I rode this morning so when I get home I will take it apart and clean it. Kind of pissed because I just filled the tank. Thanks for the input guys, I will let you know what I find.
        '82 XJ1100

Comment

vincer:
          If you carefully remove the sending unit from the gas tank, so that you can reuse the gasket, you will be able to see the construction of the sending unit. You will notice that the float arm is attached to a metal box. The cover of the metal box is held on by two (2) bent tabs. If you slide a knife blade down in the side of the unit up near the tabs you can lightly pry open one side and bend the tabs up a bit just enough to open the top but not break the tabs off. Down inside is a wire wound resistor that makes contact on the edge of a slider on the float arm. The idea is to clean off all of the accumalated rust from the resistor. Be careful and do not use metal tools to clean as this may damage the resistor. I used Q-Tips to scrub off the rust scale and once done I loosened the phillips screw on the float arm slider to adjust the slider pressure and using a multimeter set the float arm to read 6~10 Ohms on the full side, 1/2 tank 28.5~36.5 Ohms, and empty 75~85 Ohms. You can connect the sending unit up to the connector before you bolt it back into the tank to test the swing arc sans a multimeter, or just to be certain it works. Put the top back on and gently bend the tabs back in place and bolt it into the tank. For reference , page 6-15 in the Yamaha Manual, and page 7-187 in the Clymer manual

Comment

Does anyone know if they used this sending unit on any other bikes? I know the tanks are a one year, one bike deal for us here in the U.S., but I didn't know about the guts.

Vincer PM'd me and told me that the problen he's having is that his tank is full, but it is registering as empty. Could bad connections on the outside of the tank and at the plug cause this?

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Connect the two wires together,
              can use a paper clib to short em, will "max the ohms"
              Should read empty, if not then wireing problem, unless that goes thru a circut board on the XJ.

mro
              btw, the G has a float attached to an arm to the sender
              Xj more like a special???

Comment

Might be the fuel gauge needle inside the rev counter, pretty much history if not working, not that they ever worked properly anyway, totally unreliable, not missing much, you know the miles to reserve, tripmeter's way better

Comment

The XJ's fuel gauge is just dots on the electronic screen of the pilot box, it isn't an actual working mechanical lever showing fuel level.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

sending unit.

I finally got the sending unit out. The float had fallen off the sending unit arm. I put it back together and squeezed the holders on the float so that it is still loose enough to work freely but not come back off. But, here it is, but when I took the sending unit off there was a broken rubber "O" ring beneath and not a gasket per say. The question is, is it supposed to be a gasket or and "O: ring?

I am going to call around today and see if there is a gasket available. Otherwise I will have to make a new gasket.
                    '82 XJ1100

Comment

The microfiche for the XJ shows a gasket under the fuel sending unit. (Item #46)

2H7-85753-00-00 GASKET, SENDER UNIT

This information is in the Electrical-2 part of the microfiche, BTW, not in the Fuel Tank section where I was expecting to find it....

Given the part number is 2H7, this is the same gasket as used on 11s. Still available, price I just looked up on-line was $4.58.
                      (www.zanottimotor.com). Does not include shipping. Your local dealer should be able to get you one for around $5.00.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have extra unit if you need.
                        Bikers are a rare bread... Harely riders come a dime a dozen!!

Comment

Thanks

My sending unit is working now. I just have to get the gasket or make one to seal it back to the tank. I appreciate the offer Cal.
                          '82 XJ1100

Comment

The fuel sender gasket is the same across the Xj1100 and XS1100's, it's rubber, it's part number 2H7-85753-00-00 and it looks like this...
                            Brian
                            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
                            X