Resistance through Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance through Coils

My SG quit 1.5 miles from home. This was shortly after a 500 mile weekend that included carrying double for 150 miles. I'm grateful for small favors. It was running OK for a cold engine. At a stop sign the engine died and will not restart. I headed for the garage with Hansen's excellent instructions, expecting a dreaded pickup wire break. No such luck. Checked solder joints on the TCI. They had already been worked on, but nothing looked broken. Started checking resistances. At the coil wires (Orange to Red/White, or Gray to Red/White) no resistance. Same condition at the TCI plug. Resistance across plug caps 150+ Ohms, both coils.
    Pulling the big plug off the TCI, there is continuity between all the clips but one. Any clues? And thank you very much.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

The plug caps should be between 3k ohms and 5Kohms I think (3000 to 5000 ohms). I wonder if you have a bad battery in your multimeter? It doesn't seem like everything can go bad all at once like that. If you pull plug caps off of the plugs to test the caps, wires, high volt coil, test from cap-to-cap, it should be something like 15,000 + 2 X 5000 ohms = 25000 ohms. I have to adjust my digital meter to the 200 Kohm range to read it.
    Last edited by skids; 11-03-2007, 08:56 PM.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Poprock,

I hate to ask it but you did unplug the connectors from the ign. coils first? If you are truly getting no resistance, then that's not good! Should be ~1.5 ohms. Are you sure you have your multimeter set to the right scale? Does your machine still have the ballast resistor? IF it was removed or bypassed for some reason, that could FRY your coils?

Yes, I would think it rare for both to go bad at the same time!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Before what? I checked the resistance between the wires after disconnecting from the leads from the TCI. No resistance at all. Then I plugged it back together, checked from the TCI plug, same story.
        Good chance I'm not reading the meter properly. It's cold and dark now, so I'll check it again in the daylight.
        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Close to a worst case scenerio

Never mind. I found the problem. Ignition is all good. The two shoulder bolts on the exhaust cam have fallen off. Exhaust cam does not rotate. How much trouble has this caused?

Comment

How much trouble?

More than you were hoping, I'm afraid. If any exhaust valves are open wide, there may have been contact with a piston.

Comment

You wouldn't believe my luck this week. I'm going to try to replace the shoulder bolts and see what happens (d). Since one has been missing longer than the final one, having one or more in the crank case doesn't seem to matter. There may well be bent valves though, because this is the final thing I have checked.

Comment

Yeah, I'd believe it.

have seen my post titled *%&), #!(*, and %*#! ?

Fortunatly, you aren't too far from Andreas Weiss. He should have some parts available.
                Last edited by John; 11-04-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Roger that, John. Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I couldn't make any of those Texsive rallies when I lived in that part of the world and meet all of you folks.

Comment

Working...
                  X