the old gal lives again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the old gal lives again

Well finally after all this time i got the widow maker to run it sounds good probably will need to get carbs sync but for know it lives thanks pggg for the advice used the 226 emulsion tubes with my 140 mains and 45 pilots used the needles and diaphrams my needles from my old carb seem to be after market ones there is no numbering on them at all any ways air mixture screws are at 1 1/2 turns out needles are in there stock position put carbs on had to charge bat it was low after a few minutes hit the button and it grumbled to life no stubble or anything now i can move on and get my electrical problems taken care off could not figure out why tail light would not come on did voltage check was barely getting any voltage at all to them started checking and cleaning wires and found out the wire connector from my key switch was broke to the point where the wires werent making good contact connection just crumbled in my hands and i also noted that the wires where warm i think thats from the way po has the fairng wired up will need to get a new fairing wiring harness for the faring and re do it thats if i can find one that's going to be fun anybody with any ideas please let me know also need to firue out why turn sinals dont work i mean they come on but they wont flash until i increase the rpm i think maybe one leg of stator is not working or possiable the voltage/rectifier is malfunctioning nut sure will have to fiurge it out any suggestion fill free to pm or if your int area of glen rosestop by
    4/78 xs1100 standard
    Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

Congratulations

And well done with the new 'World's Longest Sentence'

Dan
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Way to go Dan.... Just about spit coffee all over my screen!

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

me too.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Of course it was a RUN ON sentence, his bike was RUNNING ON it's own!

Aw, come on guys,

He's just so damn Xsited to have his machine running that he just didn't take a breath !

Hey there MrUtah,

The problem you found with your main switch is probably a system wide thing. Think of it as a cancer that has metastasized throughout the bike! Your job is to eradicate this cancer with surgical precision. You'll need to get into EVERY electrical connector, pull it apart, clean corrosion from them, apply dielectric grease. Once you have done this, many of the symptoms of this disease will be gone!!

The turn signals require quite a bit of power to function, hence it's 20 amp fuse! But poor grounds will prevent the proper flow thru the circuit and shut down the flasher. The turn signal lights have grounds that are against the frame/fenders via the mounting shafts, but are exposed to corrosion, rust, etc.!

There are also 3 large white connectors behind the main fuse panel for the ALT, they too get corroded and can prevent proper charging. The volt reg/rect needs a good grounding, clean where it is mounted to the frame.

As for the fairing, you stated the connector crumbled, but if the wiring is okay, then you just need to put new connectors on. You can get a variety of connectors from several sources, MikeXS, Geezer may have some also. Taking photos of them will help you to figure out what shapes/styles you'll need. There is a small tang that keeps the pins/blades inside the connectors, a very small flat screwdriver can be used to push down that tang to allow extraction of the wire/pin/blade from the connector.

BTW, IF you have a multimeter, you should check your charging voltage with the bike running...but I would suggest the cleaning of the connectors FIRST!

One final note, we prefer folks to POST PUBLICLY suggestions to problems, so that we can all learn from each other, as well as keep track of what's been suggested, tried, followup diagnostics, etc.. PM's are usually reserved for private transactions for parts sale/trade, or get togethers for rides, etc.! So..please come back to THIS thread, and post your efforts and results, and I'm sure together we can help you get your machine into shape.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ok sooo i was a little long winded

ok so i got a little long on my last post but as tc said i was Xcited.

I got this bike back in january and I have tired to get it running determined that carbs where the main problem. I cleaned them at least three times i came and check out the tech support which help me alot the doing some research on my own found out i had some aftermarket pilot screws and needles. i have since upgrade my coils. from mikes xs rejetted my carbs.and I used some degreaser that i bought at the local dollar general i use it when i do my laundy so i tried it mixed with hot water and a little dawn dish soap. worked good

have 3 days off this coming week will be working on my electrical issue will post what i find here and do some reading on the tech pages as well i will xtrminate the cancer in connections have a good supply of the dialectric grease as i work in a auto parts store. and once again im sorry for being long winded

hers a thought what if i was to get another wiring harness make the proper repairs on it then move it over to bike? or would that a waste of man power
            Last edited by mrutah12; 11-03-2007, 09:41 PM.
            4/78 xs1100 standard
            Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

Comment

Hey Utah,

I just think that it might be a bit tough to find a wiring harness for your fairing, as well as spending extra $ that might not need be spent vs. just replacing a few plugs? Congrats on getting this far, I'm sure you'll have it "CURED" in no time!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think Jerry had the connectors at one time. They are a standard Molex part, as is the plastic. You should be able to get NEW connectors and pins from any electronics store, except Radio Shack, as they NO LONGER count.
                The wires at the ignition NEED to be fixed with new connectors. I Got a bag full from Geezer, and I've used a few to fix my bike, and E.Liberties. Mine was the ignition, Eds was the charging plug behind the fuse block. Don't forget to REPLACE the fuse block if it still used the glass fuses.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ah....I have some male and female pins for the Vetter fairing connectors left, but not the connector shells. IIRC these are the .093 Molex male and female pins.

It helps to have the Molex removal tool, though I did a few using jeweler's screwdrivers. I think I paid $5 - $10 for the one I got, someone else on the list had a couple extra and sold me one.

If you need some of the pins, send me a private message (PM) with your address and I'll send you some.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                  X