Need new cam chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new cam chain?

Imagine my surprise when I pulled the tensioner to replace the gasket (leaking oil), and found the plunger almost at the end of it's travel. The marks of the tensioner bolt were almost at the end of the plunger. Not knowing the actual miles on the engine (engine serial # 3H5 002870,.....frame serail # 3J6 004875), what should I be looking for as far as when I should replace the chain? I bought the bike as an 80 SG. Maybe I have a high mileage 79 engine? My dumb for not checking before buying. Suggestions? Thanks.
    Geno

I bought and installed a cam chain from parts n more, it was cheaper than others I looked at. The pins in the links were of smaller diameter, and I was worried about faster wear, but after about 20k miles, and only 2 adjustments (first was after about 100 miles), I no longer worry about faster wear. The main problem was linking the new chain to the old, for ease of installing, but I got it done. If you don't know how to do this, look in tech tips, or maintenance, there are detailed instructions, and the job is quite simple. The hardest part is separating the old chain and riveting the new back together. Get a chain tool before you start.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
    X