Ignition Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Module

I called a yamaha dealer trying to find out the original ignition module used for a 1979 xs1100 special and they gave me the following: 1T4-81960-A0-00. Can anyone tell me is this just a yamaha parts stock number or the actual module number? I've been told the module MUST match the year and model as it regulates fuel flow, is this correct? Does anyone know exactly what I should be looking for in the way of an igniter for this model, I'm confused,lol. G.B.

I'm new here, but as I understand it, timing advance is mechanical and vacuum and fuel is gravity fed through carbs, so it's definitely not regulating that. That means the ignition module's function is to "pass on" the spark signal from the pickup coils to the main ignition coils.

I'd suspect several years and models would work as a replacement...
    '79 XS11SF
    '85 GS700E

Comment

That's right, module does nothing with fuel.

There are 2 systems used in the XS, one starts with 2H7 and the other starts with 4RO. These are matched to your pickup coils.

Your old one should have the number on it. The number you have there is for a voltage rectifier/regulator.

I tried to go and look at Yamahas part fiche, but the site is down.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/500.htm?...=/Default.aspx

Give it a try later, hopefully it comes back up.
      Last edited by Crazcnuk; 10-30-2007, 01:23 PM.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Matching pick up and igniter

So how do you know which CDI pairs with the pick-up coil? According to yamaha mybike originally used a 2H7-82305-10-00. However i'mswappingout the pick-up coil with one I'm buying on line. I think it's from a 1980 model, should that matter?
        All this is an effort to try to find why this bike starts missing at about 60mph, otherwise the thing starts and runs fine. Is there any reason to also switch out the coils themselves?

Comment

Stick with the 2H7 series TCI. The 4RO or any other will NOT work on a stock '79 engine.

Comment

So are you saying that as long as it is a 2H7 it will match with the pick-up coil used on a 79 special?

Comment

Yes, there are only the two types.

That is, as long as no one has modified it before. That's why it;s best if you check yours first. The number will be on both the module and the p/u assembly.

'05 ST1300

Comment

sailor202,
                You NEED to read through the "tech tips" on the MAIN page! I think you may have a problem with the pickup coil wires. The easiest thing to do is repair the wires, and keep riding. The '78 and '79 used one version of TCI box, and the later models used another.
                As you are in Rio Vista, you may be able to have one of the locals come by to help. I would like to, but I'm going out of town for 10 days next week for work, and need to get things done at home. If it can wait, I may be able to talk E.Liberty into a ride out your way to help out. I know MRO is pretty busy, so I won't even try and get him to ride out your way, unless he can join Ed and I.
                I would NOT order a box from the dealer! Look over what you have, post pictures if possible, and ask for help/advice. That is what keeps this board going. It is ALSO how we keep the XS1100s on the road.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

OK Driver Ray

The bike is currently at Jim's Cycle Repair -- 1230F, Western Street,Fairfield,Ca.
                  I've had this bike to just about every shop in the area and NO ONE can figure out what's happening with it. I've invested way too much money in it,lol, but I really like the bike and would love for anyone to solve the problem so I can ride it. I just had it painted, it's not very stock anymore, the motor was rebuilt by a shop class at Santa rosa high school, the rear fender is off an old harley, the front from a kawasaki, 4 into one pipes. Last time it was on the road I pushed it to 135mph with no problem, now it has this problem which seems to be something simple if someone can figure it out. I'll take any help I can get.
                  Jim is a way experienced mechanic and he's just as frustrated as I am at not figuring this thing out, his number is --7077184483 or 7074262013. If you'd give him a call (reference it as Glen's xs1100) and chat, he can explain more and what he's done already to try to solve the problem.

Comment

Gave him a call, We'll see if my guess was correct.....
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Is it more associated with MPH or RPM/throttle? If it's MPH you might check the routing of your float bowl vent tubes. Turbulence around those tubes (especially with cross-winds) can cause a major high-speed stumble.
                      '79 XS11SF
                      '85 GS700E

Comment

compatiblity issues?

Hi,
                        I was just reading this thread, trying to find out more about timing advance units, albeit the discussion seems to be actually about the relationship between the ignition unit and the coils .

I hope it is not considered bad form or high jacking a thread, if the discussion opened up another semy related question .

Assuming it is OK, here it is:

I just bought a '79 engine to replace my oil burning 1980's engine, which I intend to overhaul at my leisure while driving with the '79 engine in the bike.

However, the '79 engine, the 2H7- type came without the timing advance mechanism, so I just picked one up on Ebay. Now, in an effort to inform myself on the upcoming swap, I am reading here that there might be compatibility issues from '79 to '80.
                        The bike itself will of course still have the original 80's ignition unit and coils, but a 79 engine with a 79 timing advancer. Will I be OK with this ??
                        Or is there a link to the pages I need to read to inform myself?
                        Thanks, and best of luck tracing the missing at high speed. I am keen to see what the problem is there....
                        80 1100SG with 79 engine
                        79 1100F being restored
                        78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
                        Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

Not sure what your asking, as the 80 has the timing advancer as well.

If you are asking whether the 79 pickup will work with the 80 TCI box, I think it depends on which one each of these had. As long as you have both the same seires, ie; 2H7 or 4R0 then your all set.

I am running an 81 engine in my 80, and I didn't have to change anything.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Assuming that all of the parts are in working order, that combination will work fine.

Comment

Hi Jurgen,

Just drop the left-hand front cover off of both motors, and have a look! If they look similar, they will work fine.

If you are worried about it, just swap 'em over! Some have "tamper proof" bolts, but if you are used to working on the cr@ppy fasteners on a jap bike they will be no challenge; they are not special threads or anything, just standard bolts with the heads bust off. There is good information on here about extracting them

If you are in there, you need to check the pick-up wiring. This is a very common problem on these bikes, but easily fixed; try a search, or look in the "Tips"- You will have lots to read!

AlanB
                              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                              X