Carburetor Pilot Jet Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor Pilot Jet Help

The bike is a '80XS100SG with no OCTY and has POD Filters.
    I am cleaning a set of Carbs I got from Salvage. I believe to be '81s. They have side drain bowls, a remote choke cable setup, and no pilot jet plugs. There are three remaining pilot jets, I had to drill out one in removal. They have no cross holes and to the best of my eyesite are 47.5 (s). My other remaining parts carbs have 42.5 pilot jets with three sets of cross holes.
    Can anyone out there provide me with a replacement pilot jet or what would happen if I replaced the missing one with a 42.5 or what if all four with 42.5 (s)??
    I would feel better with a 47.5. If there are none out there amongest the group where best to go for a replacement?
    gene in Tampa

None of the XS had remote choke. They might be from an Xj though. Only the 70's and your previous carbs (I have coined the weirdo carbs) had pilot plugs. 42.5 was stock. I am running Uni pods and a 4-1 one with 45 pilots. However, others (including myself up til about a month ago) have kept the 42.5's and been fine. Not having cross holes seems weird, though. You can get pilots at MikesXS. In case you miss it in my signiture, I run the 45's along side 117.5 mains. Seems to be a good combo. As a side note, the pilots you have may be for VM carbs. Here is the difference pic from mikes, but lt looks like they booth have holes.

Last edited by 81xsproject; 10-28-2007, 08:48 AM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Gene and Jessie,

I remember a post a while back that stated that the XJ's DIDN'T have the holes in the pilot jets, not sure if it had anything to do with the shared YICS circuits of the XJ which does sound like what he has?! However, going onto an XS, they may perform just fine with the vented pilot jets that are used on all the other XS's!

Tod has had XJ parts on an XS engine, perhaps he can comment on what pilot jets he used on his XJ carbs and how it performed.

Jerry may also be able to comment on whether his XJ has or uses the non vented pilots?

The venting holes allows more air to mix with the fuel, and so they would tend to run a little leaner than the same sized non-vented jets. Several others have also run the similar setup and have either used the stock pilots or have only gone up to 45's.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 81xsproject
        [B]None of the XS had remote choke. They might be from an Xj though. QUOTE]

I gotta contradict you on this one Jess. I used to think the same thing, but the Bag Lady has a remote choke installed on it. It is cable actuated, and the choke knob bracket is bolted to the handlebar risers. The choke linkage on the carbs are also OEM cable actuated, just like those on the XJ. The fairing has lower panels that block the choke lever on the side of the carbs, so a cable actuating set of carbs needed to be used. The fairing is an aftermarket Vetter WJ III. not OEM so a PO may have swapped them out when the fairing and bags were installed. I need to replace the choke cable, but I don't know if I can locate one anywhere.

Comment

Hey John,

I have to contradict your contradiction!

I was thinking that perhaps the 81 MNS took another thing from the XJ similar to the Curly wheels, and funny front brakes/linked brakes, but according to the Yamaha Fiche site, it along with the 80SG, and all the other XS's have the same manual local lever for the choke lever. I think your PO found a bolt on device and mounted it to your bag lady!? Where they got it I do not know, but I would think you should be able to get a replacement cable or rig one up somehow! Is there an allen key lock bolt in the side of the handle that holds the cable end, or is it molded into the handle?

Just checked BB, the Starter cable is still available for the XJ!
          32: CABLE,STARTER 1 19198-001 $11.04

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X