kick starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick starter?

I've noticed that my 1982 XJ1100 has a plug where a kick starter could be. I know that's what it is because "kick starter" is stamped on the engine above it. Was that an available option at the time? Does anyone have one? Is it possible to add one? Has anyone done that? Why am I talking to myself?
    The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Because you're nuts just let the rest of us haha!
    You can add a kick starter but I beleve you will have to split your case to do it .It's a lot of work just for that unless you plan on tearing it apart.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

The kick starter was not an option. It was standard on the early models but Yamaha removed it because it really was pretty useless. The intention was that in an emergency you could kick start the engine to life ... GOOD LUCK eh. The kick start lever was stored under the battery box on those models that had one.
      Problem was that if the bike was not going to start with the starter you were not likely going to start it to life with the kicker ether. The kick start pretty much only worked if the only problem was a starter failure while everything else was in "perfect" or near perfect order.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Bruce,

A member recently posted that they were able to install the parts without splitting the cases, but haven't been able to get a description of the technique, or photos because they had already done it!

But to add further info on Rob's reply, the TCI requires about 10.5 volts to function properly, and IF the battery was drained enough to not spin the starter properly, then it probably wouldn't be able to fire the plugs!? Some folks have reported being able to push start it when they couldn't electric start it, YMMV!

Just keep the connectors clean, the battery strong and you'll never need the kickstarter!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I was just thinking about my previous bike, a 1979 XS750 triple. There were times when I'd cranked the starter until the battery was too low, to turn it over, but then it started with the kick starter. It's probably not that important, just a security blanket sort of thing, I guess. Nice to know it's there if you need it. BTW, trying to start a bike by rolling it down a hill sounds very dangerous. When you release the clutch and the engine grabs, I imagine loss of control of the bike would be a big concern. Never tried it though.

Comment

I've owned my XS11 for 24 years and can't remember how many times my kickstart has saved me.

Once going home (UK) from France the rec/reg had packed in and the battery wasn't charging well, on the ferry going home, trying to start the bike by push starting it on a metal diesel covered deck would have been impossible, as would trying to push the bike up the steep slippery ramp. I was bloody thankful Yamaha put a kickstart on it.

My engine is very high mileage now and I've got hold of a bent framed XJ with only 19K miles on it so am swapping everything into my XS, one of the first jobs I'll be doing is fitting a kickstart shaft.

BruceA is right about the battery dying and starting the bike on the kicker, there might be not enough power to work the TCI while cranking on the starter but when the starter is not robbing the battery there is plenty to work the TCI.

Tom
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I've been wanting to add a kick starter as well and I was really hoping there was a way to do it without splitting the case. So now I'm very interested now that TC mentioned that someone has done it. Does anyone have any ideas on how it is done then? I already own all the extra components that are required, I'm just trying to figure out the method.
              '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

Apparently Splitting the cases may NOT be required!?

Hey Jesse, and Bruce, and Terje(other thread),

Here's the Starting Thread by FrodDink, page 2 that a member called SomeSuch posted a couple of replies to back in Aug saying that he had added the required gears and such WITHOUT splitting the cases, from a 79 to an 81SH. He also states that contacted Bob Jones/Merriam cycles to inform him of how he did it, states it was some 9 years ago, so his memory is a bit faded about the details!

Perhaps someone who has had frequent talks with Bob Jones could ask him about this MOD!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Nice link there TC.

I'm also building an XS ratbike making it as light as possible using the smallest battery, so I'm planning on using a folding out kick lever permanently fixed on from an XS750.

And as Randy says in your link
                  I kind of like the retro look, too!
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Hi ! I have just looked into my SF and my SH. If you want to put a kick starter on your SG,SH,LG or LH you can buy a kickstarter assembly on ebay. (ususally there is someone for sale.) However ,the kickstarter assemblies I have seen for sale on ebay does not contain the following parts from the microfiche of the kickstarter (SF)assembly: part#.9,10(x2),11,12,13,14,17,18 and 19.(part#. 15 and 16 are also on SG,SH,LG,LH).
                    I am not sure yet if you have to split the engine halves. Maybe it will be enough to turn take off the oil pan?
                    TERJE

`79SF
                    `80SG x 2
                    `80LG x 2
                    `81SH
                    `82XJ1100J
                    `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                    `79WIFE

Comment

Originally posted by TERJE ANDERSEN
                      Hi ! I have just looked into my SF and my SH. If you want to put a kick starter on your SG,SH,LG or LH you can buy a kickstarter assembly on ebay. (ususally there is someone for sale.) However ,the kickstarter assemblies I have seen for sale on ebay does not contain the following parts from the microfiche of the kickstarter (SF)assembly: part#.9,10(x2),11,12,13,14,17,18 and 19.(part#. 15 and 16 are also on SG,SH,LG,LH).
                      I am not sure yet if you have to split the engine halves. Maybe it will be enough to turn take off the oil pan?
                      I've checked ebay and the kickstarters I've seen are only for XS's up to 1981. My bike is an XJ1100, 1982, so I wouldn't assume that those would fit, though they might.

Comment

I believe the picture supplied by trbig in the linked thread is on his XJ.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Bruce,

The XJ's lower engine section is the same as the XS's so IF the parts will fit into an 81, they'll fit an XJ!

Jessie, you have to remember that Trbig's bike is a mixture of XS engine on XJ frame with XJ parts bolted onto it, but I can't keep track since he likes to go thru engines once a year!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

For awhile I was having issues with my battery and have had to push start my bike a number of times. It never took much. I would get it rolling at about a slow jog and then hop on as smoothly as I could. With my feet on the pegs I'd drop the clutch and hit the starter button, sometimes with a bit of throttle. Not too much of a jolt really, quite controllable. Just make sure you have room in front of you to keep going. Don't want to stall out because of a hasty stop after pushing the big bike.

Though I have to admit I was very nervous on my first try of having it jump out from under me like a bad tempered horse.
                            Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
                            - stock standard headers(stupid PO), slip-on after-market mufflers.
                            - after-market rear shocks (PO installed)
                            - no airbox, POD filters

Misery remembered is ADVENTURE!

Comment

I have done that a time or two, but I dont hit the start button, I just have the key on before I engage the gear.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X