1981 XS1100 Good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 XS1100 Good deal?

A machinist friend has this for sale. It is in pristine condition. As a machinist he is meticulis
    (SP?).

New oil every 1000 miles etc. This has 45000 miles on it and I ask if it has a lot of miles left in it or not? I am looking for local day trips of 500 miles or less and errands.

What is the life of wheel bearings and the shaft drive. All feels tight and the man is conservative in his use.

Any help apprec8ted from a 1 eyed old surveyor.

Nah, give it a miss...

It's only got 100,000 miles left on it before you'll have to do a top end rebuild. You might even have to replace the bearings. Then, ten years after that the bottom end might need work. Play it safe and spend 20 grand on a hog, you'll have peace of mind for at least six months!

ps

BUY THE BLOODY THING RIGHT NOW!

Dan
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

We gotta see some pics and know the price before we can say if it's a good deal, but as Stralya said, these bikes are notorious for going at least 100,000 miles with a little care. Some people will find a problem with 1st or 2nd gear, but that's fixable if you can turn a wrench.... if it goes bad. Also, being a 26 year old bike... little things will inevitably go wrong, but it will never leave you stranded. You will have to work on them a bit more than a new bike because of this.

The other bad thing about these bikes is that they made them TOO well. Things don't break very often on them, so there's not a lot of aftermarket products being made. The things that do break can usually be found, but with others you'll need to be acquainted with Ebay.

You'll find a large group of people that believe that this is the best/ most durable bike ever made. Many of them are here in the forum, but you'll run into many in the public with the same opinion also saying "My buddy/ me/ friend/ relative.. etc had one of those way back when. Those were FAST!"

You won't fit in the general "Biker" mold of chrome, low performance, and noise.... but we like it that way.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

In 1999, early summer, I bought a 1981 XS1100 Special, with 5804 miles on the clock, and completely stock, for only $400. I sold this same bike in January 2007, this year. I did some major modifications, but nothing to the motor, except routine and religious maintenance. When I sold her, she was clocking 174K miles. Yes, that is correct! 174,000 miles. Still running strong and pulling like the devil! And the sale price was $4100.

BUY THE BIKE, AND BUY IT NOW! OR SEND ME THE DETAILS, SO I CAN.

Enjoy!
        Jim Horton
        Myrtle Beach SC 29588
        843-274-5045

Comment

Hi Tom,
          the design is by Weird Harold, it's heavier'n a pig & has way too much power for it's handling capability. It will also last forever. You are going to love it. Then you will get obsessed.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred I like your old answer to this better

"Damn motor runs backwards, it shifts like a tractor, stears like a cow, and goes like hell. You will love it"
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
            X