Coiled up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coiled up

My bike was running. Smooth when I bought it, then rough for no apparent reason - that's when the plug got snapped off and the whole top end rebuild took place. Then it was roughish and finally smooth after a can of seafoam - for about 100 Kms, then rough again. By rough I mean missing on one or two.
    I am going to pull off my carbs and send them to XSProject who is going to rebuild them for me but my question is regarding the coils.
    I checked the spark on one cylinder and there was one, but it seemed weak, so I want to change my coils as well - rather than repair the ones I have only to find that the coil itself is bad.
    Finally a question:
    I am confused as to what to get and from where. There is talk of ones from mikes xs - but he's a 650 guy isn't he?
    Basically there is so much info on the subject that I'm not sure what to do, all I want is a good replacement coil set without breaking the bank - and I don't mind soem minor engineering to make them fit if needs be.

Thanks as ever.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Have you checked the pickup coil wires? If not, then do. Setting the gap on the pickups to .008 might help too.

TC has a very nice writeup for using reasonably priced MikesXS coils to replace the factory coils.

Coil Upgrade
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Didn't even know there was a gap! Already did the wires a while ago - one was broken but it wasn't the problem. I will investiagte the gap though.

Thanks
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

how do i download those animations? cool!!
        Si Parker
        '81 XS1100H

Comment

What, the ones I made? On the page just right-click on the one you want to save and go to "Save Picture as..."
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

thnx
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
            X