Fuel line nipple leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line nipple leak

It looks like I am leaking fuel from this point where the fuel goes into the carbs. It was previously repaired by a PO with some kind of grey goop. There is not flex at all with this part moving because of the goop.

Is there a way of replacing this part easily and getting it or should I try finding out what type of grey goop was used to seal it last time, clean it up and reapply?

Thank you
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

gray goop

The factory never used cems/sealnt's
    if it leaks there's a mech. prob.gasg's?
    81XS1100sp full dresser.
    79XS1100sp rat bike.

Comment

The carbs use a "T" with "O" rings on it for a seal. There was a thread about replacing the "O" ring, just do a search. You WILL have to remove the carbs, and pull them apart to perform the repair. I would look into replacement parts, and just clean the carbs while they are apart.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I tried searching but couldn't find anything based on my search words. Can you give me a hand finding the information?

Comment

try looking at this thread. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...fuel+AND+inlet
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Thumper,

That Grey Stuff is probably Yamabond!

MikesXS sells a "T" with rubber O-rings. The "T" for the XS11 is a different OEM # than the 650's, so I can't comment on whether it will fit? I would think that it would be the correct diameter, but it might not be the right length depending on the spacing between the carbs on the 650 vs. the 1100!?
            Brass Carb Fuel Line T-Piece & rubber seals(2) -
            ( Fuel supply T pipe that fits between carbs). Replaces plastic coated pot metal
            stock fuel T that fits between stock Mikuni BS 34mm. CV carbs used on North
            American Market 1980-84 XS650's.
            Fits: 80-84 34mm. CV carbs.

Note: Carbs will have to be detached from each other to install and we suggest you
            replace the link bar screws that join the 2 carbs together as originals are usually
            difficult to remove without damaging the phillips heads.

Note: Fuel T 48-0884 is a pressed together assembly
            and must be handled/installed with care.

Part #48-0884 $15.00 USD EA.
            Replacement Rubber T Seals
            Replacement Rubber T Seals for Brass fuel Line

Part #48-0885 $1.00 USD EA.
            I remember suggesting that someone remove the old worn out rotted rubber from around the metal "T", and go to your local hardware store and find some neoprene/Buna-N style O-rings that would fit around the "T" and be a snug fit into the carb body!

IF you do that, would you be kind enough to post what size O-ring you found that fit and worked, so that "we" can use this for a possible future tech tip?! Thanks!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Hey Thumper,

That Grey Stuff is probably Yamabond!

MikesXS sells a "T" with rubber O-rings. The "T" for the XS11 is a different OEM # than the 650's, so I can't comment on whether it will fit? I would think that it would be the correct diameter, but it might not be the right length depending on the spacing between the carbs on the 650 vs. the 1100!?

I remember suggesting that someone remove the old worn out rotted rubber from around the metal "T", and go to your local hardware store and find some neoprene/Buna-N style O-rings that would fit around the "T" and be a snug fit into the carb body!

IF you do that, would you be kind enough to post what size O-ring you found that fit and worked, so that "we" can use this for a possible future tech tip?! Thanks!
              T.C.

Their too long .. I have 2 in a box somewhere
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I pulled the carbs apart today. The T is not solid brass. It is a rubber coated brass t and didn't have any o rings. I cleaned up the yamabond off of it, cut the end of the fuel line off and placed it back on.

I hooked up the fuel tank to it and put it to prime before I put the carbs back in and it was not leaking anymore. Then I put the carbs back on and took it out for a test run and there was no more leaking of fuel.

Perhaps the PO was put the yamabond on it because some of the rubber was gone on the part of the tee where the fuel line connects to it. I am not sure but it is not leaking now.

Now I got to look up how to clean up the front brake system. A few minutes into my test ride, I smelt something like brakes over heating. Pulled over and the right side rotor was hot and smoking. Fortunately I brought my tools with me and I released the pressure on the caliper by the bleeding screw. It seems to be OK now and maybe just the caliper stuck becuase I have not ridden it for a few months.

Otherwise, she ran like a champ.

Comment

Working...
                X