Best 4 into 2 exhaust for a stock 79 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 4 into 2 exhaust for a stock 79 special

What is the best available exhaust , 4 into 2 for a 79 special. Not sure i want to deal with all the jetting and such for a 4 into 1. The motor is completely stock.

A few years ago I ran a Jardine 4-2 system. Some call it the spaghetti system because it has a 180 degree crossover of the #2&3 downpipes. It acted alot like a stock system, sounded good but required a bit of modification to the center stand to keep it from hanging too low. I just removed it.

I did re-jet very slightly but it is probably close enough to leave alone. lasted for about five years then the chrome started fail and it started to show signs of heat exhaustion (no pun intended).
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

TAD, I bet even with bac chrome, folks around here would be falling over themselves to get the exhaust from you.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

A few years ago I ran a Jardine 4-2 system. Some call it the spaghetti system because it has a 180 degree crossover of the #2&3 downpipes. It acted alot like a stock system, sounded good but required a bit of modification to the center stand to keep it from hanging too low. I just removed it--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'll take it off your hands for shipping charges
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Hey 62Trvler,

You don't really have much to choose from nowadays with 4-2 pipes. MAC is about the only ones that still make and provide them. Jardine only has 4-1's. MAC has a few variations of muffler styles, turnouts, or turn downs.

But if you can find USED, then you may get lucky and find some of the Jardine/Spaghetti 4-2's!

There's also been a recent post about the JET HOT coating process. If you are wanting to keep your bike/pipes for life, then you might want to consider having the new pipes coated, will prevent them from BLUEING, and make them last much longer!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think it has the speghetti system on it now but the headers have surface rust on them. Maybe I can get them coated and keep using them.

Comment

That would probably be your best and cheapest bet. The spaghetti pipes are a VERY prized possession around here.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I was unaware they would be that prized as when he put them on years ago we used to beat him up on how they looked over stock pipes. Guess it's good he left them on for me.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...172311754&rd=1
                  these are the best, pony up for and the extra hun over macs, you get the real mc coy.
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...172311754&rd=1
                    these are the best, pony up for and the extra hun over macs, you get the real mc coy.
                    Wow. Hope no one tells him that if he sells the OEM mufflers separately he'd get more money.
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

200 bucks what a deal
                      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

i just bought a set of MAC 4-2. i was planning on installing them tomorrow. i took a long trip and somehow cracked one of the oem mufflers all the way around.
                        http://www.henryism.com

Comment

Working...
                        X