Broken Idle Mixture Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Idle Mixture Screw

Oh, Whoa is me! I found on #2 carb, a broken IMscrew. Is there any way to get this little brass point out? A 79SF. (I thought it screwed "kinda' fonny".) Lot'sa "monkey p-ss", lot'sa poking from the top (useless; point to point?)...Ha. An earlier thread referred to heat?..and the monkey stuff? It seems pretty wedged. Maybe this is a garbage carb body? Boy, a drill bit that small, I probably couldn't get a bite on with my drill motor. If I drill it out from the backside (knowing the brass would be tougher than the aluminum), I'd have to "form" the seat again? Would the J..BWeld stuff do it.? Hmmm, paniky thoughts at this point. Has anyone had experience with this problem? Thanks for all replies.
    Geno

Geno,
    Do a search on the mixture screws. There was one thread that someone made a "tool" to push the tips back up out of the way. Let me know if you need a screw, and just keep a list of what you need. I do have three spare carbs, off a '78 or '79.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've tried the push pin and a couple other ideas with out any luck. Tried to get fancy and make a tool but welding the tip took the temper out of the steel.
      The "plyer tool" did not work out, as you can see that the tip bent.

Bottom right was a tap that I put into the drill press and then formed the tip with a die grinder and dressed with a fine file.
      Held with a pare of vise grips then posistioned in the throttle body over the broken pin and has taken a single tap with a 13mm wrench to pop out broken pilot screw tips. Have used this a few times on XS carbs and also on my flat slides.

mro

Comment

Thanks DRay and MRO. I'll see, as the last carb comes apart, gets cleaned and put back together, if I do need additional pieces. Another IMscrew for sure. I have some high tempered steel parts around (taps, files, etc.), so maybe I can make a tool also, and remove the broken tip. Trouble is, it is pointed too, and making point to point contact is a PITA. Ha. Wish I could suddenly become smaller; I'd get down in there with a sledge hammer.......
        Geno

Comment

I don't know if you guys will see this but, SUCCESS!! Thanks so much for your advice, and most of all, INSPIRATION! DRay and MRO, the tool you referred to, and produced a picture of.....I made one out of a small allen wrench. Good steel. Sharpened it on my wheel and a rat-tail file. Sucked it up tight with pair of needle nose pliers, and using an 8 # sledge as a base....two whacks with a small ball peen and the broken tip was out. Wow, impossible last night, now it's go ahead again! Heh, maybe the hole in the throat of the carb ...."might" be a little bigger, but,..now comes the needle itself. I'll try to chuck the old one up and make a new point. Thanks again.
          Geno

Comment

Getting SMALL

Cool....
            Glad you got the "POINT"

mro

Comment

Hi Gyro,

Glad you got the point out! My SG had the same problem when I got it, and got the same repair.

However, the base of the hole must have been distorted in my carb body, into a taper shape to match the needle, so that each time I took the adjuster down to "lightly seated" it jammed and re-broke. I had a spare set of carbs, and used up most of the idle adjusters before I figured out NOT to touch the seat!

Hope yours is not as bad!

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
              X