Heat shield screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat shield screws

Anyone had any experience with the screws breaking off on the collector pipe for the heat shields? I had one break off, so I drilled and went to use the easy-out on it... and of course it snapped. I can honestly say that I don't think one of those has EVER worked for me. It had Liquid Wrench sitting on it for a week before I tried to ease it out...

Anyway... my thoughts are to grind this part off the pipe with a Dremmel... leaving just a bit to tack to... and spot weld a fine thread nut there. My welder is screwing up a bit though and was wondering if you guys thought that JB Weld or something would hold that nut? I don't know the temp rating for it, but that area gets dang hot.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

JB Weld or something

has it's uses but don't think that is one that would last.
    Removeing stuck or stripped nut/bolts, and broken off fasteners becomes "easier" with practice. Seldom is fun tho .

Useing an easyout is like tightening a nut/bolt and have there limitations. heat might have been helpful.

If you need to put a nut into thin metal a nut-sert can work very well if installed properly and tack welded in place if not. Most hardware stores have em.

mro

Comment

I don't know what a nutsert is, but I was wanting to not perforate the collector pipe. That's why I was thinking about grinding it down and welding something in place... if I can get my welder to work. I have just never used JB Weld, so didn't know how strong it would be or how impervious to those temps there.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

I saw some heat shields in the catalogs (years ago) that had built-in ring gear clamps which appeared to be conceiled.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I was wondering about that!

The back one looks like it may have had one of these clamps.. but since it wasn't round there on the back side where the pipe from #1&2 come into the collector, it looks like maybe they cut and welded it.

Anyone know where to even look to find one of these clamps? The one I am needing is in a round spot and would work great there.

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Take a dremmal and cut one welded end of the flange riser. Bend it over and cut off the little spot welds that hold the nut on. Go down to your local Tru-Value or Ace hardware and get new stainless nuts and bolts (6mm). Use bolt and snug tighten nut into place. Spot weld nut in two places. Remove bolt, bend tab back into place, weld and re-install heat shield. Use anti-sieze on bolt threads and U should not have to repeat problem.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Not quite sure what you're saying to do here. It isn't the clamp looking side that's messed up. It's the front one you see in the pic on the right.

I have already ground it down flush with a grinder. I'm trying to get the welder going and will just spot weld a nut on there unless someone knows where to find these clamp style ones.

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

I just replaced a broken nut on my MNS by spot welding one on in (3) places. I was a little concerned about blowing a hole in the exhaust so I took a piece of scrap sheet metal from a car (thin stuff) and practiced making a few spot welds on it. Good thing I did as the first attempt was too hot and I blew a 1/8" hole in the sheet metal!
                DEW
                One Red "Creation 1"
                One Black"Creation 2"
                One Black"Creation 3"
                One ???? "Creation 4"
                One ???? "Creation 5"
                One ???? "Parts Bike"
                All the above 1100 Specials
                78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                1980 Midnight Special
                1978 650 SE

Comment

Here is one that JCW sells.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014663/c-10111
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

or these
                    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014663/c-10111
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

That looks interesting.
                      When I cut apart my MNS exhaust ... I don't remember there being any heat sheilds

In Tods pic looks like welding a nut there should work.
                      When I patched a rust hole on the G's muff I did as dewibp and dialed in the mig on a piece of scrap first and that hole was the size of a silver dollar.

mro

Comment

Same thing happened to mine. I just took em off and left em off. Only person who has noticed is the guy I work on it with.
                        "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Sorry guys.. I misunderstood the posting a while ago. I thought Skids was talking about a clamp that had the nut built in.. sorta like the one on the left (Rear) of the collector in the pic. It looked like maybe it had been a clamp that had been cut and welded. I just thought this would be something to use instead of welding. No biggie. I left some of the welding material on the pipe to give me something to tack to.

As long as I don't bottom out the screw against the pipe, there shouldn't be any upwards pressure on the welds. It'll just have to hold the shield under vibration.

As for just taking them off... I see them as I walk up to the bike. I didn't have one on the right side at the rally because of this and it's just one of those things that bugged me.

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Again, just cut the nut off, weld new one on so it lines up with the hole in the original heat shield. Hardware store has your short stainless bolts to go with the new nuts.(stay with the metric choice, for obious reasons.).
                            Last edited by motoman; 10-21-2007, 05:48 PM.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

For those (like me) that don't know how to weld, how about this:

Get a hose clamp that will go around the pipe (but slightly longer). Sandwich the nut under the hose clamp between the pipe and clamp. Drill a hole in the clamp and line that up with the hole in the nut. The clamp holds the nut in place and the screw/bolt holds the heat shield on.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X