Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical

Ok, I posted something earlier about my electric troubles, but it was long and confusing, and now I have better information.

Reading through the 'Tech Tips' section (http://www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair32.shtml), I measured the resistance between the green and brown wires. It came to about 4.5 ohms. This was the same with the ignition on and off. The wires I did the test on were behind the right side panel of the bike, and it was the side of the connection which ran to the alternator assembly. The other side of the connector did not show any readout. Then, with the ignition on, the voltage across the brown wire to ground was around 10.8, while the green wire was 0.6-0.8. With the engine running, these voltages were the same. Does that mean the reg/rec is working correctly (readings are less than expected)?

I brought my current battery, which was purchased less than a month ago, up to a place to charge it, and once charged, it tested as bad. I don't know if this would affect the aforementioned readings, but the voltage across the battery was 12V at the time. When I bought the battery, I only charged it for about 2 hours before riding about 100 miles on the bike, which is what might have ruined the battery.

This electrical problem (not enough voltage across the battery) is my greatest concern, but I have 2 other general questions about my bike:

1)The fuel gauge. When I fill the tank, it goes all the way to the left past empty, and eventually works its way up to full, then back down to empty. Is this normal? I don't know if I can trust it.

2)If you were to look at the engine directly below the seat, below the battery and slightly forward, there is a component I cannot identify. It looks almost like an oil filter for a car standing up and has a black tube that runs out of the side of it which just goes under the frame of the bike. After the engine has warmed up, smoke will sometimes come out of this tube. What is that thing?

-Thanks to all the people on this board, who have already given me a warm welcome.

Eric

1979 XS1100 Standard

I'll save the electrical for someone else.
    1.) The fuel gauge has NEVER been that reliable. I use the trip odometer as my fuel gauge.
    2.) That fitting you see is part of the breather system. There SHOULD be a hose from it to the front of the airbox. Some oil fumes/smoke is normal if the bike has set for a few years. This should go away with use.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

replace bad battery first
      easiest and most basic alternator test
      check voltage with bike at idle. (should be just over 12V)
      increase RPM up to 2,500 (should be close to or over 13V)
      Clean connections? including engine/frame and battery ground?

If it's not charging, I'd check out Geezers web site, good trouble shooting tips for charging systems.

mro
      btw, fuel gauge on my G was consistant.
      100 miles to E, another 20+ to reserve.

Comment

electrical problem

forgot to mention...
        behind fuse box are three plug connectors,
        one comes from alt and if corroded some... likes to get hot and sometimes melt the plug too

mro

Comment

The field coil gets power right off the main switched power lead (brown wire) and grounds through the regulator (green wire.) The 4.5 ohms resistance is within spec but you might consider checking it warm to see if it's a heat related problem.

Next check to see of you're getting continuity between the white wires of the stator at about .7 to 1 ohm and infinite to ground.

Make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Also coating the terminals with dielectric grease couldn't hurt.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X