bad gas mileage & slow(ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad gas mileage & slow(ish)

So here are my two issues: Rhona's only getting about 26 miles to the gallon and won't break 100 mph. What gives?? I synched the carbs (haven't Colortuned) last fall. She's got 4-1 Jardine pipes, stock airbox, and I believe the main jets are up 1-2 sizes. And she's naked, too.

I read over in the Member's Lounge that Tod and planedick are getting 120+ mph with full fairing. She pulls real well in the main jet rpm range, but just won't produce the zoom at the end.

And 26 mpg just seems way the heck too low. Granted, I'll get lower gas mileage when I'm trying to hit top speed, but this low??

Any suggestions on what to do about each of these problems? I'm scratchin' my head here.
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Clutch slippage? Brakes dragging? Both?
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Answer

As everyone knows, "stock is best". Modifications like aftermarket pipes will always make it slower. It has been a long time since the carbs were synched too. I think that the jetting is such a PITA if it is done correctly, which means lots of spare jets, many attempts with dyno runs to test the effect. Too many times taking the carbs off and back on for me. I would get too frustrated. Of course I also realize that stock pipes are no longer available so one has few options. I did have good luck with Jardine 4 - 2 slip-ons on the '79 without hurting the top end which is still over 130 with fairing and bags. That engine is especially good with 150 psi compression straight accross and the bike only has about 50k on the clock.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Not quite. I run pods and 4-1 and have NO problem getting to 100 real quick like. The only power loss from those mods would be on the low end. Stock is nice because it makes it Barney-simple with no questions. After market pipes aren't the problem as he has already increase the mains.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

because it makes it Barney-simple

26 mpg is way to low, should be over 30 even riding it on the hard side.
          If not sure which way to adjust carbs.
          Would get a couple sets of new spark plugs and do the "throttle chop" at a couple different RPM's to see if your running rich or lean.

mro

Comment

Check the float levels, gas cap, and then check the fuel lines. If the floats are off by just 1 mm, you can drop a few MPG. Make sure the vent in the gas cap is NOT partially plugged, this will cause you to starve for fuel at high RPMs. make sure you don't have a pinch in the fuel lines when the tank is installed. I run mine under the intake side of the carbs too the opposite side bank. Left petcock feeds carbs 3&4, right feeds 1&2. Also check the vents on the carbs. The early models, '78 and '79, vented to the airbox. If the airbox nipples are not drilled, or are plugged, you won't get fuel at high RPM.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

when i moved my needles up a notch the gas mileage went down from 33 to 27, runs very well, but i'll eventually go with what ray said, needles back down and lower the floats 1mm see if that fixes the pinging, which with the needle adjustment it did, but the 27 mpg inhales. then again i don't ride that much, i'm just a poser.
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all. I just re-did the front brakes, and one is a bit warmer than the other two on the bike, so that'll be taken apart this winter to double check and re-lube. No clutch slippage noise, though.

I'll try getting new plugs and seeing what color they're getting colored in the different rpm ranges. Just to be clear, is this the procedure? 1. get the bike warmed up, 2. run at a particular RPM output for a bit, 3. pull in the clutch, and stop as quick as I (safely) can, 4. pull the plugs on the side of the road and make a note of what color the ceramic is. Also, can I get away with one set of new plugs and just run for longer in an rpm range? I guess that'd tell me if I needed to raise or lower the needles in midrange... right?

The airbox nipples? I don't remember noting any last time I had it apart. Are you talking about where the different air vent lines attach? I'll make sure to double check all the venting, elsewhere too.
                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

How to read plugs

click link
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85

Would first check what Ray said.

mro

Comment

Don't want to point out the obvious but have you checked the air filter? Last summer I noticed the mileage dropping and noted that the mufflers were running a little dark, power was also dropping a little, resynced the carbs (the Dragon does NOT like to stay in sync) and showed little improvement. Then I had an epiphany, when was the last time I checked the air filter???? WOW, what a difference a little more air made. I am still running at just a little over 36 MPG and I know that she will go well over a hundred very quickly, I do not know if she will still go over the 140+ mark as she used to do (did it on an airport runway BTW) and probably will not find out. This is due to the fact that the air in Wisconsin has gotten to the point over the last few years that it starts to scare me when it gets going past me at any speed over about 90. I think this has something to do with global warming. My wife has another theory but I will not embarass her by bringing it up here.
                    The Old Tamer
                    1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

gas mileage & fast

I only got 42 miles on the last tank. It seemed a little faster and I don't see any leaks or anything wrong with it.
                      [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                      X