Tacho went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacho went out

I went for a ride and the rpm side stopped working the speedometer works. Was working before I changed the rear tire. Was looking thru the manual but cant figure were to pin it down. Would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks Guy's

Tonio
    tonio
    81 xs eleven special

Electrical

If the tach quits it's because the alternator isn't working. I would suggest checking alternator output and regulator. Check the tech tips and/or do a search and you will probably be overwhelmed with info.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hey Tonio,

First thing is check your charging system, cause when it goes out the tach usually goes out as well, also the headlight may also not work...have you checked to see if it's working while the bike is running?

If your charging system checks out okay, then you can check the wires going to the tach, there should be a white wire that is the signal for the tach, you can put a voltmeter on it while it's running to check for power/signal!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Recently I took my seat off to recharged my battery. Bike ran perfect before but then after that my fuse to my turn signals blew which also ran the Tach. Seemed in first gear at about 2500 rpm is blew. Checked all the wires and found an improperly routed right rear turn signal wire was pinched under the seat to the frame. Rerouted and all is well. Hopefully you find something simple as well.
        1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Working...
        X