After Market Floats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Floats?

Trying to get my 80G back on the road after sitting for 3+years. removed the carbs and cleaned them. I noticed that the floats were not set at the recommended height per the XS manual and Clymers. Since the needle valves were stuck, I was getting fuel in the air box. I could not adjust the floats anywhere near the manual's 24.7~26.7 mm (0.972~1.051 in.) and determined that they were aftermarket types different from the round type shown in the manual.

When I bought the bike, the seller had details that $1600 worth of repair was done on the bike by the local Yamaha dealer. He was selling the bike because it had an electrical problem, and he had bought a new starcruiser. I got the bike for $1100 and rode it for about two years. I noticed that the bike leaked a little fuel from the petcocks and every once in a while had fuel in the airbox.

When I reassembled the carbs I noticed that the float height would leave the needle valves a slight bit open and reasoned that the problem was caused by the mechanic not adjusting the height properly. I readjusted the floats so that all were equal and the sides of the float just barely not touching the sides of the top chamber when fully closed. I put them back on the bike and it would fire and run for about 3 seconds. Uh-Uh, I now realized that the mechanic probably left the floats so that the needle valves were slightly open all the time and counted on the vacuum position of the petcock to keep the bowl from overflowing.

I now have a problem. I took the carbs off of the bike a second time and adjusted the float height so that the floats just touch the sides of the upper chamber. That is as far as I can go. I reassembled and put them back on the bike. Now the bike will start for about 5 seconds.

The floats look just like the picture on this site recommending after market floats from mikesxs.com, however I can order new floats from another site for about $26.00 apiece that say they are factory replacement parts, but will they be the same as I have now? Is there some method I am overlooking that can be used to adjust the after market floats I have now? It is hot and my relationship with this bike is getting cold after two times off of the bike for the carbs. Appreciate any suggestions.

adjust the floats anywhere near the manual's 24.7~26.7 mm
    That will work for the 78/79 carbs.
    80 carbs set to 23mm
    ___
    Plastic floats from mikesxs.com work good.

mro

Comment

The floats should work fine .. set them all the same and then do a bench test to confirm actual fuel level in the bowls is at the correct level and that all 4 carbs are the same. this is done by attaching about 1 foot of clear fuel line to each of the bowl drains with the open end of the fuel line ABOVE the carb bowls highest expected fuel level. Supply fuel to the carbs until the bowl valves are closed. The fuel level in all the lines should be at the same and correct level. Of course the carbs need to be level both ways for this test. I am sure there's a more detailed description of this test in the tech tips section. check it out.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The floats aren't aftermarket, they are just the 80's style. You need to check out the back section of your clymers for the supplementation section that covers 80's specific models. The floats you be set to 23mm which I believe is .906".
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

You have any pictures of them? IIRC the round floats are the ones from the 78-79's. I think the 80-81 were squared off.
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Rob has a good point. If the floats are not exactly stock, they could produce a different actual fuel surface level even though the dry float "height" is set to specification.

Originally posted by 79XS11F
            The floats should work fine .. set them all the same and then do a bench test to confirm actual fuel level in the bowls is at the correct level and that all 4 carbs are the same. (snip)Rob
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks Guys:

I should have remembered that extra 80G section in the back of the book. I had read it about 5 years ago but not having to adjust the floats until now, I completely forgot about that section. I was going with the picture in the Yamaha manual which of course shows the picture of the 79 round type of brass floats. Getting doddy in my old age.

Comment

Working...
              X