Oil changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil changing

I've read many posts on oil changes and oil used. One thing I've noticed is people saying "I did an oil change and tried Brand X oil and my bike is shifting smoother and is quieter".
    Is it because of the switch to brand X or because you just replaced used oil with new oil?
    This came to mind at my last oil change. I tried a different oil and my bike was quieter and shifted smoother. But then, I'd just changed the oil. It's tough (at least for me) to remember exactly how noisy my bike was 3,000 miles ago. As the new oil broke down and the bike gradually got noisier and shifting got clunkier I didn't notice the ever so gradual change. New oil and the bike is suddenly like new. Must be the new magic oil I decided to try.
    I'm not saying this is always the case but just an observation.
    (tee hee, another oil thread. Next is tires, maybe spark plugs)
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Well, the least spectacular theory is usually the one that is correct.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I have a 3/4 ton 1978 Chevrolet Suburban that I ordered special
      in fall of 1977 with a 454. 330,000 miles on the vehicle > never
      had the heads off. It's the oil. Admittedly, it could use an overhaul, but it did go through a couple years hard abuse, back in the nineties. I had a 1988 VMax new; the clutch didn't slip~~we know what kind of oil I'm talking about. Using the same oil.
      It's oil that "doesn't wear out"~~the same way as "cheaper" oils.
      I pay $11 per quart, including tax and "shipping". All "out-of-state" orders gotta pay sales tax on the order. Some of you guys'll guess which one I'm talkin' about real easy.

Politics, religion, and favorite choice of oil; dangerous subjects.
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Heh you forgot the psychology of people that says" it damn well better feel/sound better, I just spent a load of money on it" Syndrome.

With oil, as it get older, it gets thinner, so putting in fresh, new, thicker oil usually accounts for the 'new' feeling after an oil change.

Feel and sound are so subjective it's not even funny. The only thing that really tells is the 300k teardown, and the dyno.

Just look at all those 'hot' trucks with no exhaust... to the driver they have loads more power, to me they look slower...
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
        X