No announcement yet.

Ugly Betty Lives!...barely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks TC. I guess this fledgling should jump of the limb and flap real hard. Going to NAPA and see if they have the parts cleaning kit (with basket), and then go to work on the carbs. They gotta' be dirty, the rest of the bike sure is. I think it was stored in an autobody shop; there's ...like, sanding dust all over and in it. Have been going through past threads; there's lots of info there that I will be using. Great site..great guys who share it.
    Geno

Comment

I hope you didn't soak the carbs!!!!
      DO NOT DIP THE CARBS!!!!! You will then be going through them again, only more so!!
      READ THE TECH TIPS, and then pull the carbs, remove the float bowl and floats, and clean the carbs with spray cleaner. The '79 carbs need the main and pilot jets BOTH pulled and cleaned, as well as all the passages in the body. Don't forget to remove the idle adjustment screws, and make sure the tips didn't break off in the carb body.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No, I didn't soak them. They are cowering on the bench awaiting their fate. I did pull the bowl on #1, and yup, it's gotta' lot of muddy looking residue in there. Huh. Probably that same dusty stuff I've been finding everywhere else on the bike. "The surgeon waits until the patient's on the tabel before studying the operation manual". Anyway, I'm waiting for a convenient trip to town (about 15 mi. away), and then maybe I can find one of those dunkin' carb kits with the basket. Maybe I could get by with the spray can? Oh, BTW, the bowl only had two screws holding it on. Would ACE have some metric screws? I hope they're not that hard to come by, as I suspect there will be other metric parts missing. Do I need a gasket kit to put the carbs back together once I get them apart and cleaned? I guess I'll need to reset the float levels too? Hmmm, I'll bet my learning curve is gonna' be pretty radical. Ha. Thanks for the advice everyone.
        Geno

Comment

Working...
        X