carb cold start question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb cold start question

i have looked at the carb faq's and i have rebuilt several carbs for vaious bikes, but i was reading something another site about making one of the jets bigger for better starting in cold weather, but so many places cal lthe jets diffrent things. i beleive they are talking about the jet that sits in the mouth of the carb??? is this right? if so is this the 170 one for the xj?
    sorry also i should not i have an 82 that i got with no jets anywhere in the carbs... but i have an 81 carb setup with a couple jets missing and some of them are stripped and stuck in the carb. so i think they are useless, and mine has the yics stuff.
    maybe i could get 4 smalll fuel injectors and place them were the yics stuff goes into the head and have direct port fuel injection??? hmmm
    Last edited by yamahansolo; 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM.
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Hey Chris,

It doesn't get cold enough in Jawga for you to be worrying about cold starting problems!!

The enrichener circuit works just great on these machines, provided the jet that is in the float bowl is clear and flowing!! But they get clogged/gummed up easily, and then they won't flow fuel, causing hard cold starting! These float bowl jets are pressed in, no real need to change them, just clean them!

Folks have drilled carefully the small pilot jets that get stuck down in the pilot jet towers! Even have gotten reverse action drill bits, and often the jets unscrew as folks are reverse drilling them. IF you have a drill press, best to mount it on there, and turn the drill bit by hand ensuring it's centered!

A search will reveal more techniques! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X