A question about changing tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about changing tires

So yesterday I spent nearly the entire day changing, mounting and balancing my tires. My question is this: When I was setting the new tires, neither would made the distinctive popping sounds of setting beads. I re-compressed the front, and tried a second time. Still nothing. They look nice and set, and I took both to 65+ psi. Did I do something wrong?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Sounds like

You may have rims for tube tires like on the 78's. I don't know the history of the bike, but if it was a baket case you never know. Look on the sides of the "spokes" in the channel between the raised parts it will say tubless or tube type. You should never use tubless tires on a tube rim. They fit OK and will hold air, but ther's no locking ring in the rim and in case of a flat the tire will come off the rim and lock up the front wheel causing much worse of a condition than just a flat tire!!!!!
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Tires DO NOT always "pop" when you seat them. If you had plenty of lube on the rubber, it would just slide into place. As long as the line around the tire is centered on the rim, you should be good. I would check and verify the rims are "tubeless", as you CAN loose a tire while riding if not. An easy way to check is on the rear tires, the two bosses for the rim locks are solid, and DO NOT have a bolt or something filling them. Front tire you NEED to look at the spokes, and read the "tubeless" STAMP on it. There are some things that are CAST in the spoke, but the tubeless is usually stamped.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The rims are indeed tubeless. That is great to hear Ray. Believe me I did NOT want to start over.
        thanXS
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Jesse,

IF you'll look at the Pictorial guide I posted for changing the front tire, you'll see photo examples of that "LINE" just above the bead and how it should look and be visible all around the rim! I had to bounce the tire/wheel while it was barely inflated to get that bead to slide on out/upwards out of the rim to where it should be!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X