Resurecting "Ugly Betty".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurecting "Ugly Betty".

PO had previously painted everything flat black, removed front fender and side covers, hacked up seat, and only retained speedo and ignition sw from inst. cluster. Oh, and tried to isolate #3 cyl by depriving it of fuel. I'm new to this resurection game and am trying to hook everything back up. Where does the vacuum line on #3 intake go? One and four have caps, #2 goes to octopus and I see the open pipe on #3? Since he related a valve misconduct for #3, I guess short of pulling the head, I could make compression and leakdown checks, and pull valve covers and watch cams and lifter action. Should I be doing all that and maybe more? I hear no odd noises on turnover (he said he ran it on 3 cyl for a time), and want to confirm it's a valve problem on #3 cyl. I can use all the advice I can get. Thanks to all that take their time to answer.
    Geno

Cap it

The #3 nipple is to be capped.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Thanks Planedick; another piece to the "Ugly Betty" puzzle.
      Geno

Comment

Yeah, do a compression check to see what #3 is doing. Then check the valves clearances.
        Who knows about previous owners? Maybe #3's problem was just that the vacuum port was open.
        Might have low compression just due to incorrect valve clearance.
        Who knows?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a set of metric feeler guages the other day, I guess now's the time to use them. I hope it's not a "trauma to the valve" problem. I'm betting the octopus confused the PO, as it too, has experienced his "slasher-style" of mechanical ability. I guess that should have been, "chopper-style", Ha. Anyway, without Clymers' to look at, and the XSers knowledge, it is a piece of work. Ugly Betty is a 79 xs11 Special. Now if I can get her on the road....
          Geno

Comment

Hey Gyro,

Like Dick said, cap #3, and also #2 as well, it was only for the octopus! The Vac. Adv. line goes to the metal port on the #2 carb body, not the intake manifolds!!!!

Come back as often as you need, we're here for you!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X