Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's doing an OEM restore to thier bike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mro!
    I bought the tank new (NOS), lots of years ago for a silly amount of money It is an original Yamaha colour for Europe. It is black over gold metallic. Really nice when the sun shines on it. I have seen the tank decals are still for sale in Germany.
    I bought the decals for the side covers in the beginning of this year on Ebay, also in Germany.
    I am still looking for a stock seat cowl, as those decals are no longer available and the colour is a pain to replicate. Somebody spilled some glue on the cowl.
    Last edited by Mathh; 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM.
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Someone here had some decals made (John ???)
      Looked pretty good in pics too.
      I've been hording some oem emblems, tank, covers and rear of seat. Just one of those projects to restore em that needs a bike.
      Allways been partial to dark colors but the Macho Maroon colors have led me to sell em.
      There's "black" and there's real "black" and that tank is it

mro
      could be you just take good pics, but sure looks good.
      One of the few things about the original Ford I agreed with

Comment

Math...that rocks!

My 79F is close but ALL I need is a stock exhaust. Other than that the bike is pretty much OEM. I still have one OEM mirror but the other is missing. However the OEM mirrors on the 79F were not very impressive for my tastes.

Comment

Very nice bike now I just have to beat you in finding stock exhausts then

Comment

Sounds like you'll have an easier time of it in Europe. The standard exhaust are rare over here.

Good luck.

Comment

The standard exhaust are rare over here.
              I have a used a set, but have "issues"
              If I can get the few small dents out of the headers, then maybe another 10 to 15 hours getting the surface rust off and smooth enough a guy here in Hayward says he can re-chrome em for about $250.00+.

As soon as I get around to working in the shop agin will take some before and after pics, both of OEM MNS and Standard exhausts I have. Originally got the extra standard exhaust for this 80G which I had to repair the right side muff for a rust thru spot about the size of a silver dollar. Very good candidate for a restore as the over all condition is very good (had 11,000 miles on it when I got it)

mro

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN

Sounds like you'll have an easier time of it in Europe. The standard exhaust are rare over here.
                Good luck.
                No way! Stock exhausts, even in bad condition, are very rare overhere I am searching the web every day for exhausts in te States!

mro: always interested!

Comment

Originally posted by mro
                  as the over all condition is very good (had 11,000 miles on it when I got it)
                  Mike

That's what my standard had when I bought it from the original owner in Chicago. I still have the original title to the bike and plan on framing it.

I know I know...I'm a little wack when it comes to Elevens.

Math

Good luck finding an OEM exhaust. Hope I don't have to bid against you. I bid against a friend of mine on another part for an Eleven recently on ebay. I won the item and beat his bid by a mere 50 cents. I don't think he knows it was me...and I'm not tellin him!
                  Last edited by MAXIMAN; 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM.

Comment

originally posted by Mathh
                    mro: always interested!
                    So....
                    just how fat did you say your wallet is?
                    Does price goes up daily?

mro

Comment

you lot are making me feel bad for having so many sets of oem exaust pipes,,god how will i sleep tonight knowing i have more than one set of brand new oem and some full second hand sets....
                      mro have you got any contact details for your rechroming man please...math that set i just got on ebay are great,it was a shadow that you could see on the down pipes,

Comment

originally posted by scoobes
                        god how will i sleep tonight knowing i have more than one set of brand new oem
                        MORE THAN ONE SET?
                        You should not sleep well...unless...
                        maybe ship one set prepaid to me

mro
                        BTW
                        sent ya a PM

Comment

My 79 special is stock with the exception of the exhaust (trying to find a factory) and need the seat grab bar and YAMAHA emblem on the fron forks. Rest just needs a little polish and some coils maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianB
                            The One I bought a month ago and luck as heck to find is a total perfect restoration start because it would not take a lot but I love it as is!!!

I have been fixing all electrical issues which mainly consisted of bulb replacement, and cleaning the fuel sensor.

Forgot to ask, Does anyone know what manufacturer of the aftermarket 4 to 1 exhaust on the bike could be?
                            Brian,if I am not mistaken i have the same exhaust ...ti looks like it is a MAC 4 into 1
                            http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...max-im/015.jpg
                            Last edited by madmax-im; 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Actually, I don't think I would want to do an OEM restration even if I could. There are a few things on the bike that I think look better new (people from the Tahoe rally would remember). My LED plate frame being one example, and I thought pulling off the original (HIGHLY rusted, went to the dump, don't ask) it was a bit of a pain dealing with that center piece. I prefer my MAC 4-2. Oh, and since mine is an '81, I'm hoping to replace the 85 mph speedo soon.
                              1981 XS1100S (former)
                              2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

Oops...ancient thread
                                Last edited by James England; 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM.
                                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                                X