looking for info before i buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for info before i buy

Having decided against the 750/850 triple due to its inherent problems, I was looking here on the forum for any problems on the XS 1100. I could not find any. Are there any problems that need to be addressed on the bike that I did not find?

Exp-shifter on 750/850
    -cam adjuster on older kz bikes,

stuff like this? Thanks for any insight, as I am not mechanical I do not really want to be wrenching a bike.

Re: looking for info before i buy

Originally posted by kjuice
    ................other stuff......................

Thanks for any insight, as I am not mechanical I do not really want to be wrenching a bike.
    You may not want to have a ~30 year old bike in that case. Any machine of that age will have issues from time to time, regardless of who made it.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

I know, but its my time and the bikes now are ugly. I dont mind routine maint.

Comment

The XS1100 engine trany has a know "potential" issue with 1 and 2 gear hop out. However given the the bikes usually sell pretty cheap and the fix is pretty easy I would not let this deter me. If your looking for a ride that you yourself and fix when issues crop up the XS11 is a GOOD choice. It is also a powerful bike that is comfy. Parts are also plentiful. I can't think of many who regret owning one and many who regret selling one.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Depending on where you live, you may have people close to help you with the "Other than normal maint" problems that inevitably will arise.

That being said, on a 25-30 year old bike, you don't know the history very well usually. Many have spent YEARS out in the elements unridden and uncared for. Even if they look pretty good now, there could be corrosion issues past the normal spots that get seen. These bikes do need to be worked on.

So... if you aren't in to wrenching, I have to agree with oseaghdha in saying that a bike this old probably isn't the best choice for you. You will have a very hard time trying to find someone else who will work on it for you. No one wants to mess with something in a shop that will have a few hours labor and a few parts be worth more than the whole bike. The shop I use for tires doesn't even really like to have to work on it enough to get the brakes and wheel off. It usually ends up being a kid that was born considerably later than the bike was...

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The usual suspects

Not trying to discourage you, but these are a few of the most posted items problem wise (in no particular order):

Fuse Box
            Lighting Circuit
            Exhaust Cracks
            Brakes/ MC
            Clutch Springs
            Tank Rust
            Petcocks/ Octopus
            Pickup Coils
            Carburetors
            Wiring Gremlins

And I would say that they are typical of any bike of this vintage. My own bike was very well taken care of by the previous owner. He had it since 1981, when it was 2. But I have had all of the above to deal with over the year I have owned it, and I would describe it as being in very good condition. The basic platform is damn near bullet proof, but its the ancillary equipment that usually fails. Mostly due to age. I would guess that 99.9% of the folks here do their own wrenching because 1) they like it, and 2) it would break the bank to have to take it to a shop to keep it in prime condition.

Do a title search on trouble or problem or help to get an idea of things you might run into.

There are three kinds of old bike owners: Those that work on them, those that will work on them, and the rest are those that sell them cheap because they are busted. The last bunch are our favorites. So, if you happen across a nice red '79 STD, buy it!
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

If you are still game after the advice so far i would say to check out the "Tech Tips" section and read through Maintenance and repairs sections. If you can see yourself walking through those procedures, with help along the way from this forum membership, you'll be able to handle the upkeep. many other brand/models do not have as specific and fast-response support as this forum.

It has been no problem for me and I am not a mechanic.
              Gary Luckin
              '78 XS1100E Full Dress
              '74 DT175A Enduro
              '86 Husqvarna 400XC Cross Country
              My Avatar is "Rolle Free"
              breaking the speed record in 1948
              check this out;
              http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200701/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-motorcycle_1.html

Comment

The XS triples (750/850) have the same quirks as the 1100's. I've had both and am a member of both forum/groups.
                You don't have to be a master mechanic, just like to tinker.
                Otherwise a new bike would be good for "gas-n-go" motorcycle ownership.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to learn it out and fix it myself as i have no interest in the modern bikes. will have to wait and see what i pick up next spring for riding .

Comment

Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Kjuice:

Thanks for your interest in the 1100s. As mentioned above, the last of the series was produced in '82 in the US, so any of the 1100s you may find are a minimum of 25 years old. Some parts are no longer in production, including some trim, exhaust parts, and some electrical parts. However, many, if not all, needed parts and pieces can be found on this forum, through eBay, or in wrecking yards. However, a full OEM set-up would be very difficult to accomplish, and may not be the best way to go anyway. For example, the OEM fuse block is a known problem area, and replacing stock brake lines with stainless-steel hoses will improve your braking power over stock.

These bikes are for the do-it-yourself mechanic. Most bike shops won't touch them for anything more than tire changes, but will provide parts if they can. Almost any problem you could find has been addressed on this forum; it is a good source of information as well as parts.

You did not say what your budget was; a good-running XS 1100 can be found for $1,200 - $1,500 in most markets, sometimes less. However, with a 'new' bike you should plan to spend another couple hundred for routine maintenance including carb clean and synch, brake lines, battery, tires, fuse block, fluid and filter changes, and general clean-up. If you find a really clean machine the price would be less, but most used bikes are going to require some additional $$ after you buy them to get into reliable condition.

The great advantage to the XS1100 is that they are relatively easy to work on, look good, and provide the best bang for the buck you will get out of a used bike. Still quick enough to keep up with many 'modern' bikes, can be made into anything from a cafe racer to a full-dress cruiser, and pretty reliable once the maintenance is done.

If you are willing to do your own mechanical work, have the patience to look for parts / pieces when needed, somethimes get a little creative in solving problems, and like having an older bike, the XS1100 would be a good choice. However, if you like having off-the-shelf accessories and parts available, or have a dealer or shop do most of the work with stock parts, the XS would not be your best choice.

I stick with my XJ1100 (the '82 version of the XS) because every time I ride a V-Twin I realize how well the old bike performs; it was a classic design. However, I would consider one of Yamaha's V-4 bikes like the V-Max or Venture depending on which I wanted, a sport bike or tourer. Much harder to work on, however, but since they were produced into the '90s ('96 and newer Ventures are V-twins) there are more parts available and shops will still work on them.

Good luck on your selection, and if you do end up with an 1100, make sure to let us know. You would be most welcome here.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                      X