Pro or Con: Dial-A-Jet Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro or Con: Dial-A-Jet Experiences?

I've seen the thread referring to a members use of Dial-A-Jet, and studied Thunder Products tech page but no-one seems to have yet made a definitive report on D-A-J's overall performance on their XS/XJ. I'm referring to DAJ's alleged ability to compensate for many factors such as popular mods: like exhaust pipes, pod filters.

Does this high tech mod really work? Can DAJ compensate for old slide springs / 1 size off main jets etc ? Can DAJ handle the dreaded off-idle, medium throttle carb stumbles?

Any glowing successes? Reports of sad failure? Anyone installed and used DAJ extensively e.g. LONG TERM?
    Last edited by TucmanXJ; 09-26-2007, 03:13 AM.
    79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Hi Tucman,

Off-idle carburetion is controlled by the pilot (idle) jet. Stumbles mean that the pilot jet needs adjusted. Try a search on here; there are some good instructions!

Most carbs came with caps on the adjusters to either limit the range of adjustment, or to prevent adjustment; Throw 'em away!

If adjustment doesn't help, you probably need to clean the pilot circuit in the carbs. There has been plenty of debate about "chemical" cleaners (Seafoam?) Vs stripping and cleaning. Again, try a search.

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Can PM 79XS11F and/or
      Do a search
      79XS11F for the member
      and "dial A jet" for what your looking for (case sensitive?)

Don't know of anyone else who has used it.
      Think he has gone back to regular jets, but did use em for awhile.

mro

Comment

Dial-A-Jet will not work on POD filters. I spoke with them by phone and they do not recommend using their system with PODs. They also do not have any effect at engine idle and will not correct carb faults. What they do is give the tuner the ability to make jetting changes without removing the carbs. There is tech articles VIA links at their home page including Dyno results.
        They can make jetting correcting up to about 15% when INCREASED fuel supply is needed. They can not reduce fuel needs. On a stock setup one would reduce the main jet by at least one size and then let the Dial-A-Jet system meter the added fuel based on engine load and air speed moving past the injectors. i will be using them on my hop up engine and I intend to run my engine with stock mid-range and main jets and let Dial_A-Jet do it's thing. I can not comment on my experience with them last year because my carbs were not working correctly.
        Snow machine users have been using them for years and like them.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
        X