Carb Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Identification

I have a rough idea of the difference between the 78-79 carbs and the 80-81 carbs but I can't find and markings on my second set (I think 80s off an SG) to indicate what they are. Anyone have any clues. BTW there is a faint number just below the diaphram but it doesn't seem to correspond with any of the numbers listed in the manuals.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Well, first off, the early carbs have idle mixture screws that stick out of the carb body, top front, whereas the later carbs have the screw down in a well.

The 80-81 carbs inset the screw so they could put a cover over it after so we plebes couldn't tamper with them.

2nd, the early carbs have bowl vent hoses that go to the aircleaner box, the later ones don't.

My 80 has the idle adjust thumbscrew on the front, bottom of the carb bank, and 79's have it at the rear top of the carbs.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Ernie,

Also, looking at the intake mouth, there will be 4 holes for the 80-81 series since the bowl vent is routed there, but on the 78-79 carbs, the vent is on the side of the carb body, the upper "T" fittings, so there are only 3 holes on the intake horn!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

1978 should have a E stamp on the bowls.
        1980 XS11 Basketcase

Comment

Thanks guys, was originally wondering if Mikuni had actually stamped any numbers on their carbs for id.

While I'm here got another quick question, kind of pertains to another thread. Brass floats on 78-79 and plastic floats 80-81 interchanging. Other then the drain on the 80-81 float bowls, is the capacity of the bowls different then those on a 78-79/ I have been thinking of swapping the bowls off a set of 80's onto my 79's so that I can do the float adjusment based on the actual fuel level. Sorry, I guess I just answered my question, if I use the fuel level then I don't worry about 23-25.7mm, I go by the level of the fuel to the carb body don't I?
          Ernie

Comment

hi Egsols,

I thought that most (or all?) of the carbs were originally marked; some with stamped numbers on the body (which should still be there!), and some "printed" on the side of the diaphragm chamber. Some of those markings will be gone. Try looking down by the float bowl for stampings, or on the side of the centre top chambers; they are less likely to be rubbed off. Apparently, all four carbs of a set were marked.

AlanB
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Thanks Alan,

Mine are not marked per se but do have some numbers printed on the side of the diaphragm chamber. Prob is they don't seem to relate to any of the numbers stated in the service manuals? I know they are either 80 or 81, plastic floats, no vent tubes, drain screw in bottom of bowls, 110 mains, etc.
              Ernie

Comment

Hi Egsols

Side of the chamber sounds right!. What are the numbers? You might need to check 'em all to get the full sequence.

AlanB
                If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Can someone tell me why I can NEVER find any numbers stamped, printed or engraved on my carbs no matter where I look? apart from E on the bottom

Al, those wire spoked rear wheels, GX750 maybe, XS750 rear wheels, wire spoked I'll check out some bike-wreckers soon, they're possibly around, will let you know

Comment

On my early carbs, there is a very faint etching on the CV chambers. But each carb has the etching in a different position, either left, right, or back, or somewhere inbetween. In the photo you can make out 9 00 and then something below. By shining a light at different angles I can make all the numbers out- 2H9 00 E9X

On my later carbs, the number is stamped on the LHS between the throttle butterfly rod and the angle bracket. In this one I can see 5K7 00 132. Black paint might hide them?

PGGG, if you see an ad in Motorcycle Marketplace looking for wire wheels, that's me for Al. No one around here has seen any. Hope you have better luck.

Dave
                    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Hey Alan,

I wrote them down and lost the %$##^& paper. I'll check them again this weekend.
                      Ernie

Comment

nothing to see here

Comment

pggg, those carbs look like my early ones (my top pic). The numbers I found are very faint etchings on the CV chambers. They can be
                          anywhere on the chamber sides. The numbers are that faint that I'd think a good cleaning may remove them It's the later carbs that
                          have the numbers that would show in your pic.

Dave
                          XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Pggg,
                            Ive got no numbers on either set of carbs
                            i have, both later models (81/82)
                            they have no numbers on the needles either.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X