Need a gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a gas tank

My XS11SG's gas tank is showing a gas blister in it's paint which tells me it's pinholed. The Standard tank that came with the package was pinholed from the get-go so it never got fitted and Oh Joy! I have another winter project. OK, I suppose I can fix the pinhole easily enough but if I have to repaint a tank anyway I'd dearly like to repaint a larger one.
    Now, oldnortonrider's sign-off line says:-
    "81XS1100SH; - - - 7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank, - - - "
    So will a Concours tank fit on the SG without too much trouble or would I be better off looking for a replacement Standard tank?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

71/2 gallons! I wouldn't know what to do with that much fuel. I'm so used to the copiuos 3.3 gallon tank they designed for the specials!!!

I'll be watching this thread to see, may be a worthwhile endeavour.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Hi Ernie,
      yeah, the Special's puny gas tank does need forward planning. I was recently on a vintage bike run on mostly dirt roads in Northern Montana. The closest I came to running out of gas was pulling into a filling station as the engine quit. Mind you, some other riders on off-road solo bikes who'd run out of gas were real happy to see my rig coming along the trail with it's special-built rack with the 2-1/2 gallon jerrycan of extra fuel in it.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You'd think the stylest's of the day, when designing all the progressive goodies found on these old gals, could have figured out a way to use the frame and or seat for extra fuel.

I find a jerrycan works good too. It's a heck of a lot easier that rigging up a secondary tank. Just not the stylish look Yamaha was planning on.
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Hi Olenortonrider,

I am sure that I am not the only one who would LOVE to see what an XS looks like with a 71/2 gallon tank!

Post a pic!

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
          X