Does size matter? (battery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size matter? (battery)

1982 XJ1100 Maxim. The battery died, and so I stuck another one in there just as a temporary measure, until I had the chance to get the right one. The battery on the bike now is much smaller than the one that's supposed to be there. It's just an extra battery that I had from another, smaller bike. As I expected, the smaller battery didn't hold a charge very well, and the bike had to be jumped started if it sat without running for more than a day. I kept it on a float charger so I wouldn't have to be jumpstarting it. Curiously, the time needed to bring the battery back up to full charge became shorter. Now, after a few weeks, it doesn't need the float charger at all. Even the bike sits for 2 or 3 days, it starts right up. So, now I don't have a lot of incentive for spending $60.00 on the right battery. Does it matter if I ever do?
    The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

As far as I am concerned if it starts no problem, you're fine.

If the battery has more capacity, great. If it has less, you may find it finicky in adverse conditions, ie; when it gets colder outside, or you leave the lights on (it may go dead a lot faster than normal) or whatever.

But as long as the bike starts right up, everytime, you can run on that battery as long as you like. Or, as with ANY battery, run it it until it annoys you.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

That's why I love the emergency kick start on my 79SF!!!! Too bad that was the last year.
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

i have a EVERSTART ES12N?-4B-? (?=number worn off) in mine and it starts it everytime, no problems. its been in there for a couple months now. its like half the size of the one that was in it. i am gonna get the right one thats gos in it during the winter when i park it for good and clean it up some. i do have to use a block beside it to keep it from sliding around in the battery tray tho.
        79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

batt.

I had a smaller one in My XS1100 and it did not last it coud not take the cranking and recaarging it blue up and I hade a mess
          get the right one for the bike

Comment

Given the age of the wiring and the poor charging system of the 11s i would put in the largest battery that will fir that tray properly. For sure go with what the factory recommends. If the one you have is still working good then don't worry about it until an issue arises and or a new batery is needed.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I always try to get the biggest, most cranking amp battery I can fit, in ANY vehicle I own.

The Monte has an 1100cca battery in it. Funny part is, it has a gear reduction starter, so you could start that car with a pretty small battery, however my sub amp, deck amp and the rest of the stereo can take a battery down fairly fast, when the car isn't running.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The battery that came with the bike when I bought it wasn't the right one to begin with. The PO told me that's why the battery warning light stays on all the time, because the battery doesn't have the hook up for the sensor like it should. So, I would've had to replace the battery anyway if I wanted that to work. I read somewhere that the life expectancy of a battery in these bikes is only 2-3 years, and the battery was 2 1/2 years old, so I wasn't surprised when it died. I guess what's really puzzling me is that this smaller battery acted like a smaller battery at first, by not staying charged for very long if the bike sat. But now, it seems to be holding a charge as well as I could expect any battery to.
                The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Comment

battory

I got my bat. at wall mart a good bat but low in cost

Comment

Working...
                  X