X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signals - Flasher Relay

Turn signals won't light.
    All fuses are checked and okay.
    I ran power straight to the bulbs and all 4 signals light.

As far as I can see there are no shorts in the wires.
    Is it my flasher relay that is the problem?
    Where can I pick this thing up from?

I saw one on nikebandit for just under a hundred dollars and can't believe there isn't a less expensive option available. All the bike shops around here in chicago say that the part is discontinued.

Also, is there a way to check the unit to make sure it's fried?

Thanks.
    Ian
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

It is more likely your flasher cancelling unit. It is a rubber mounted rectangular gizmo mounted under the seat ... or maybe it is under the tank?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Anyone know any diagnostic checks to figure out whats not right on this circuit?

Flasher relay or cancelling unit?
      I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
      //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Hey Ian,

IF you have the OEM lights, and haven't put on NEW LED's, then you can go to your local auto store, and get a 2 prong thermal flasher relay to plug in. You will loose your self cancelling feature but the turn signals will work. You may have to try the flasher in the plug 1 of the two ways that it fits to get it to work, but it will work!

BUT....if you've added LED lights, then they do not draw enough amps to activate the OEM or thermal flasher units, and you'll need to get an electronic flasher unit, around $15.00 or so!
        HTH!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm not sure but I have had a problem where I push the signal on and it doesn't light unless I hold it. I'm assuming that if I am hold the switch on and the signal flashes it would be the cancelling unit. If the light comes on and doesn't flash it could be the flasher. If they don't come on at all probably bad wire, bulb or ground.
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Turn signals won't light.
            If meaning won't come on at all, then no power getting to them.
            If you ran just a single wire (positive) to turns...and they came on
            then grounds and socket/bulbs should be OK.
            Leaves wireing/switch/flasher etc..

check with a mult-meter
            At flasher brown wire supplies 12V to flasher from fuse box, brown white wire supplies 12V from flasher to handle bar switch.

Those good but no light then check handle bar switch
            ---
            if getting power to flasher, but no light, can jump wire at flasher to see if lights work. Light comes on then replace flasher.
            ---
            Even if self canceling unit bad or unplugged, turns should work, just not turn off automaticly

mro
            good bet switch is bad

Comment

Hey mro,

So the cancelling unit won't go the other way and keep the lights off? I was thinking about that cause the odd time I have to hold the button on to keep the signals going, as soon as I let go they stop. I thought that maybe the unit had them on a constant cancel mode? Is it maybe the switch itself?
              Ernie

Comment

Hey Ernie,

Folks have found the little metal leafs that the signal switch contacts was bent too far away so that the switch would not stay in cantact after releasing the switch. So...you may want to take yours apart and inspect it, notice how it looks when you switch it to the right vs. the left, and adjust accordingly!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I might of missed ypu doing this this. Have you cleaned the switch? Mine will act up up every once in a while and a quick shot of cleaner made for eletronics will usually fix it. I first shoot some in thru the slot. If that doesn't do I will pull it apart. Third Yamaha...all have had this issue.
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Hi Ian,
                    stock Yamaha flasher units are insanely expensive. Has the bike always done this? Check the PO didn't put in 22W car bulbs instead of the 27W bulbs the stock flasher needs to work. If it's just started, like TC says, plug in a $5 car flasher to see if that works.
                    Hi Ernie,
                    the flasher switch is supposed to spring back to centre after you pushed it sideways to start the flashers and the flashers should keep flashing until you push the switch button straight in from centre or until the auto-canceller trips.
                    If you have to hold the switch over to make the flashers keep going I'd say the switch needs looking at.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yup, I figured its the switch. Doesn't happen very often and when it does its only when the bike is first started. After I've been riding for 5 minutes it works again.
                      Ernie

Comment

Working...
                      X