Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity

The mileage on my bikes seem to be climbing rapidly. My XS11 is now close to 45K. I've had it less than four years. It had about 10K on it when I bought it.

How many miles can I expect to get out of this thing? I don't drag race, and I run in the power band often. I'm not afraid of rpm.

My concern might be leaving for a long trip and being stranded by mechanical catastrophy.

What is the consensus?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Ride it hard. Fix it when it breaks.

(every bike I've ever owned has gone well over 100,000)
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hi Marty,

Keep a sensible amount of good quality, oil in it, change it regularly, and don't beat the bike to death before it warms up; It will last for ever!

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I say ride it JET.Got 72,5 on mine now and the engine is all original except for exhaust,came off an '81 and replaced the carb boots in '85 or 86.I run seafoam once in awhile in the gas as I was having carb problems(earlier this year) but that product seemed to clean them up. Other than the advance timing wiring(do a search) it's been as reliable as a Timex watch.
        '80 XS1100 SG
        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

reliability

Hi,My bike has 38,000 miles and not afraid to ride it anywheres.I do keep in mind the first and second gear problems and take it easy on the tranny,though not afraid to rev it. Luckily,there is enough torque in the engine to sustain 5th gear riding almost all the time.I think the more the bike is used,the less problems you will have.Just my 2 cents,Brad

Comment

You're at the point where the normal bikes of this era were getting wore out (Honda Magna.. etc), but it has been said that the main two problems these bikes had were.... 2nd gear... and that they were made TOO well. Lots of people on here report getting well over 100K... so ride with confidence knowing you've just finally gotten it broke in!

My bike has ALWAYS gotten me home. I spun a crank bearing last year riding to the Oklahoma rally (Didn't know what it was at the time) and rode the 60 more miles to the rally, @ 200 in the rally, then 120 miles home. I babied it and it was sick and knocking a bit... but it got me home.

Two weeks ago, with carb problems and only running on two cylinders, I rode @ 200 miles home. I used a lot of gas, BUT the bike brought me home. These are tough beasts. Trust them. A brand new bike will strand you just as easily.

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

(every bike I've ever owned has gone well over 100,000)

My God man how many bikes have you owned! I find this truly amazing how many acutal miles the majority of the owners here are putting on their bikes. For me its truly not a question of desire. Its more the time. I could list all the excuses of why I dont get to ride as much as I would like but Id rather tip my hat off to those of you out there that are riding hard core miles. I would say that I average approx 2000 miles a season.

Comment

If you keep up with the maintainance you've got nothing to worry about. I also believe letting them sit is the worst thing for them.

-Mike

Long Live the XS1100

78 XS1100E
                85 VMax

Comment

Hey Marty,
                  I bought my '80G with 48K on the clock 3 years ago, now have an estimated 65K on it (odometer died last year) and it still runs strong. I agree with those listers who say that routine maintenance is all you really need to worry about. Some of the Gurus will say that the basic engine is good for 80-90K before reboring, but I think that the oils are so much better today that if you are religious about maintenance that you can probably do a little better than that. The big-bore kit will set you back a few bucks, but I don't ever remember seeing a thread where an XSive regretted adding the ponies to extend the life of his ride. Ride it like you stole it and maintain it like you intend to leave it to your daughter, 'nuff said.
                  80 G "The Beast"
                  81 H "The Dresser"
                  79 XS650 II
                  82 650 Maxim
                  70 DT-1 Enduro
                  66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                  96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Yes I agree. Ride it alot. The more you ride 'er the better they run...All bikes are like that...even Harley's
                    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

XMR my salute to you. My speedo only goes to 85 and won't show over 100,000...plan on proving them wrong.
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                      X