X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tires

Originally posted by gerkenbruce
    Hey Gary,
    When it comes to tires, I found Meitzler's 550's are required equipment for chasing Bandit's !!! :-) Hope you replaced your front tire, looking forward to spring.
    Hoping see you soon.

XSively,
    Bruce,

Tell everbody how quickly that Metzler wore down!! I got my new front two days after I got back....I hope you got a new rear! I am expecting two feet of snow in the next 24 hours...I am looking forward to spring AND our next ride together.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
      I am sold on the Dunlops. Wear like iron and have never let me down, rain or shine, twisty or straight. Not one slip, not one tire related complaint. You guys know how easy I am on my tires right?
      I know you appreciate twisties, so the 491's handle well? Most people praise them for their high milage touring attributes. Most of my preferred riding is in the N.GA. / TN / NC mountains. I'm looking for a happy balance of milage and handling.
      Robert
      79 SF

Comment

Captjerry:
        Have not had Avons on an XS, however they are presently on my Goldwing and I cant wait to wear then out!!!! Two words... they suck!
        Do you have the Avon Venom X Radials on your 'wing? I have them on my Valk, and they beat the Dunlops and Metzlers hands down, grippy, and believe me, I have ridden in enough bad stuff to know:

Check out Into the Maelstrom and The Dark Side of the Man for my most recent . . . ur . . . less than ideal weather trips.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I've had good luck with the Dunlop K491 Elite II. Run them front and back, have gone through a couple sets in the last 3 years. They wear very well, work well in both flat out freeway travel and mountain driving, work well in rain or dry conditions. Towing a trailer puts additional strain and demands on the tires, and I have no complaints. I've developed a lot of confidence in Dunlops over the last 3 years, would be hesitant to switch now.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Haller

I know you appreciate twisties, so the 491's handle well? Most people praise them for their high milage touring attributes. Most of my preferred riding is in the N.GA. / TN / NC mountains. I'm looking for a happy balance of milage and handling.
            I am sold on them.... , there may be some better stuff out there but I am not willing to change. They do handle well on the twisties on an XS...at least in my experience. Try a set...
            Gary Granger

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
              I've had good luck with the Dunlop K491 Elite II. Run them front and back, have gone through a couple sets in the last 3 years. They wear very well, work well in both flat out freeway travel and mountain driving, work well in rain or dry conditions. Towing a trailer puts additional strain and demands on the tires, and I have no complaints. I've developed a lot of confidence in Dunlops over the last 3 years, would be hesitant to switch now.
              Jerry kicks ass in the twisties....don't let him fool you with words like touring and long wearing...., Jerry impressed me in Arkansas and he knows about mountains and twistie roads.....
              Gary Granger

Comment

brisgstone dual compound

I put a set of bridgestone spitfire S11's on my xs... I dont have that much experience with other tires on it, but it seems like the harder center compound of the rear tires slips way too easily when the pavement is wet-- they seem to be holding up well, but with only about 3/4 of a season on them its hard to judge.

on i side note-it was 9 degrees Farinhight last night and the XS growled to life halfway through the first turn of the crank i luv this bike!
                79ish suzuki rm250
                82 honda cb450sc
                78 honda cx500
                72 honda cb175
                78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Dragon, No their not radials. Mine is a GL 1200. Just like you would not put radials on an XS. The Valk was designed for radials. I was looking for a better performing tire than the Dunlops however as far as lasting, and wet pavement goes the Dunlops win hands down. I also prefer Excedras over the VenomX's. Ive never had a tire get as squirrely as the Venoms on tar strips either. Im just thankful that they will be wore out soon. I consume a set on avg every 4-6 months.
                  Seeing the posts on Arkansas riding ya'll better holler next time in the neighborhood..... time to go hit hwy 7, 23, 9, 56 and the roads around the Buffalo River just to name a few.
                  J
                  captjerry
                  86 GL1200A
                  81 GL500
                  81 XS1100 SH

Comment

Hey everbody,
                    Well what about michelin? When I got this bike of mine it was set up with michelin macadam.
                    I can tell you the ride is great but haven't riden it enough to say more. Well one day the road was wet and in 4th gear i opened it up. Much to my amasement it broke lose. I thought my clutch was slipping but, no.
                    I can say years ago i ran Dunlop and was real happy with them.
                    The parts bike i got has one of those Ching Thing what ever on front. It looks ok when looking at it, but so does my, never mind.
                    I'm just wondering about Michelin, can any one say cuse that is what I have now.
                    I did see they are knot cheap to buy.
                    ACE

Comment

Working...
                    X