No announcement yet.

crossing boarders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I will be passing Olebiker and Rob (79XS11F)on the way down to pick my bike up. I was told if the bike is older than 15 yrs there won't be much to pay in duty and with all the paper work in order it should be no problem coming across.

James
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Guys,
      before we go overboard counseling each other on how to sneak things past the border nazis (and do you think that homeland security doesn't monitor EVERYTHING?) do these draconian restrictions even apply to the derelict elderly bikes we are interested in?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905
        Looks like I will be passing Olebiker and Rob (79XS11F)on the way down to pick my bike up. I was told if the bike is older than 15 yrs there won't be much to pay in duty and with all the paper work in order it should be no problem coming across.

James
        Let us know how it goes.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Well I am back from my trip to Vermont. Picked up my 80Xs special had a nice drive . Stopped just north of the Quebec boarder to pick up a few parts for Ernie and then went on north of Montreal for turkey Dinner with my sister .

I crossed the boarder will little trouble.They asked if I bought it off E-Bay and how I came to find out about it,just said a friend told me about it.

They asked if it was for parts of do I plan on plating it. I asked why they wanted to know that and was told I would have to pay $ 250.00 if I was going to put a plate on it. I politely told the person behind the counter I was told that there was no restrictions for anything older than 15 yrs nor motorcycles.She was surprised how informed I was, that she went to her boss to confirm what I had told her .

It took about 10 mins but she came back and said I was correct and that I do not have to pay if I want to plate the bike.I was charged $5.00 Canadian for taxes signed my name on a few forms and went on my way. Very good experience and weekend.
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

It's actually pretty simple to bring old vehicles across these days. I know of a couple of people who bought motorhomes in Arizona and drove them home.

There are just a couple of forms you need to have filled out, and it's a breeze.

Derwat was one of the ones that did this, so I will see if I can get him to post what he had to do.

Once it's here, you'll need an out-of-province insepction done on any vehicle brought up, and it has to have any applicable Canadian gizmos for the date of mfg.

For cars, this usually means Daytime Driving lights, for an old XS I doubt they would notice if it had an on/off switch.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

BUMMER .. It's a little late for me. I was told that bringing a running for the road bike across the border was a big issue that included inspections, letters from dealer or manufacturer as to all recalls for the bike and proof that they had been addressed, etc etc. If I had been given the RIGHT info by the government 2 years ago I would have been the owner of the MINT XS1100 that was photoed in a storage area. I had already contacted the owner and started making shipping arrangements when the government pretty much made it look impossible to do without a lot of jumping through hoops.
              You would think that given the money they earn .. that I pay them in taxes .. that they could at least KNOW their job??
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                BUMMER .. It's a little late for me. I was told that bringing a running for the road bike across the border was a big issue that included inspections, letters from dealer or manufacturer as to all recalls for the bike and proof that they had been addressed, etc etc. If I had been given the RIGHT info by the government 2 years ago I would have been the owner of the MINT XS1100 that was photoed in a storage area. I had already contacted the owner and started making shipping arrangements when the government pretty much made it look impossible to do without a lot of jumping through hoops.
                You would think that given the money they earn .. that I pay them in taxes .. that they could at least KNOW their job??
                Rob
                Pretty good joke for so early in the day. I almost lost my coffee. The idea government workers knowing something. What next.
                http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Trying to tell them they are wrong is scary , they get pi$$ed off easy and can make you suffer with a long wait if you do. Don't tell them you bought it off E-Bay that's another long wait for them to have a look there .
                  BDF Special

Comment

Working...
                  X