crossing boarders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crossing boarders

I just bought 80SG from someone off E-Bay looks like it's in good shape doesn't matter it's more for spare parts if I can't get it running . I was wondering if anyone has bought a bike from the US or Canada and what was your experience crossing the boarder?
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

crossing

Only been across border once din't know or to nieve(first ex wife 18 yr old) good till they seen all the empty shells and full casings . Tend to shoot once in awhile out window After the two hours of answering questions and yes putting ALL OUR CLOTHES back in suit cases (in the military service so didn't resemble the hippi I used to be) we folded our seats and left had to be hot that day!!!!!!!! I have to admit courteous with a grin eh!!! American border where ya going? Anything to claim? have a nice trip I think you have to have passsports now .02$

Comment

We live near the border and cross frequently. I have not imported a bike from the US but I understand that it has become much simpler with free trade. Let us know how you make out as I have thought of doing just that.
      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

passport

Olebiker do you need passport?? Was told that you did?????

Comment

A boarder once crossed me.

Didn't pay for his breakfast.
          Automotive Imbecile.
          Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
          '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Re: passport

Originally posted by trukleon
            Olebiker do you need passport?? Was told that you did?????
            I have one but by the letter of the law no you don't. Having said that it will soon be mandatory and you will have a much better experience at the border with one.

Comment

Travel by Air: Beginning January 23, 2007, All persons, including U.S. Citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada (including in transit passengers who are transferring planes in the U.S.) will be required to present a valid passport or Air NEXUS card or return to the U.S.
              Travel by Land and Sea: Visitors can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and drivers' licenses to cross the Canada-U.S. border by land and sea (including ferries) for at least another year.

Was sorta interested in what our northern neighbors have to put up with so took a look...
              Click here >>http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

mro
              BTW,
              Prohibited to bring into Canada
              A. List as follows,
              *Radar Detector.
              *Live minnows, leeches.
              *Dog Food.
              *Potatoes.
              *Fire Wood.
              *Military style attack rifles.
              *Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds for centre fire rifles)

Comment

Just took a road trip last Friday (Sept. 21) over to the U.S. Having been born in Canada, all that was required was a photo I.D. card, in my case I used my drivers license, with no problem.

Now, as far as bringing a vehicle over, once I get through the info sites, I'll decide if it's worth the effort. So far, from what I can see, it is.

Ron

also try:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/mod_i...ml#motorcycles

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/expor...or_vehicle.xml
                1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Some of those actually make sense

Prohibited to bring into Canada
                  *Radar Detector.
                  *Live minnows, leeches.
                  *Dog Food.
                  *Potatoes.
                  *Fire Wood.
                  *Military style attack rifles.
                  *Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds for centre fire rifles)

Hi mro,
                  reasons for prohibition (in order)
                  Outlawed in most Provinces. The cops will confiscate them.
                  Prevents importing nasty water-borne parasites that can destroy Canadian fish stocks.
                  Actually, all meat products except licenced commercial imports.
                  Keep out potato blight.
                  Keep out Dutch Elm Didease
                  And the Canadian Firearms Laws are written by city folks who've never fired a gun.
                  For instance, there's a popular low-priced .22 Semi that has a nylon stock. The black one and the camo one are "military style" but the brown one is OK.
                  The short clip rule is so the next lunatic who wants to kill 16 female university students has to learn to quickchange his magazine rather than use a banana clip.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well said Fred. God am I good or what?

Comment

It's a REAL pain in the back side to ship a bike or car across the boarder if it is intended to be used as road worthy. So get ready to start jumping through hoops and PAYING out lots of dollars for paperwork and inspections. Would be best to ship the bike listed as FOR PARTS ONLY.
                      Lets see I was told ... need a list of all recalls for the bike from the manufacture or a authorized dealer and proof that the recall work have been completed. Proof that the bike meets Canadian safety standards + Inspection.
                      ALL paperwork to prove the legal transfer of the bike from owner to owner. Pick up at predetermined locations. Example I live in Ottawa and would have to do pick up in Cornwall at the import office + trailer.
                      Also any needed work MUST be completed before final approval is given and paperwork accepted.
                      In my opinion .. it's just not worth the effort.

Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

If your sure it's going to be a parts bike go get it with your Canadian plate on it. Load it in the truck or trailer after a good clean up stick your plates on it and bring it back. Tell them you were in the US last week and the bike quit running and your bringing it back. And don't ask how I know this works. I'm 30 minutes from the Canadian border and I've brought back a few cars this way. If you get arrested I don't know you
                        I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Hi Dsxs,
                          trouble is these days even the border nazi with his grade 8 intellect can tippytap on his computer and instantly find out when it was you last crossed the border. OK, so you go and come back beforehand to keep the record straight but can they check how you travelled?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just make sure it comes in as a "AS IS" Parts only bike or have it shipped engine and frame separately = PARTS.
                            Rob
                            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Awwww now ya done it. I am gonna have to go down there buy a bike and bring it back. Darn I just can't pass up a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X