Electrical, starting noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical, starting noise.

Howdy there podners! Brand new here; Just bought a 1980 xs11 Special, and after a few trips on my learners permit, I've encounter some problems. Ha. To make a long story shorter...my battery seems to be getting weaker..?..and after noting my turn signals getting lazy to the point of not working (just indicator light on), I drove home to find my battery dead. Huh. So, prior to testing (run bike to 2500 rpm and check voltage across battery), I took it out and charged it up. Meanwhile painting battery box, etc. Re-installed battery (now showing 12.41 volts), and rolled it out to go for a ride to the neighbors for the run-up test. Boy!..what a noise on trying to start! One heckuva squeaking on turn over coming from the engine area! Pulled the plugs to make turn over easier. Same loud squeaking! I'm toast now. Battery reads 12.23 volts and indicator lights are bright. Could it be the alternator coming apart?.. Anyway, have to admit, I've been reading the great stuff on this site before joining, and want to give you all the kudos you deserve. Last time I rode was on a Norton Road Atlas chopper..maybe, like, 1965?.... Thanks, hope I can be of some help somewhere along the line.
    Geno

If you mean a noise that sounds like a honking goose right after it hits, that is just fine. Ride that puppy! That is what you need and what the bike needs! The starter clutch can also sound like a whirl and then clackity-clack. Usually that is a cold weather/cold oil thing and it can also be no big deal.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

No, this is definitely a squeal...little higher pitched than a pig..heh; maybe brushes? I undid the fusebox mtg. plate, and moved some wire harnesses around to get the battery box out. Done something I shouldn't have? We're talking neg. ground..right? when hooking the battery back up? Boy, I dunno at this point.
      Geno

Comment

Got an 80 also,starter makes noise at start mainly when cold but it has been doing that for as long as I remember.It just kinda sounds like it is running on but soon quits....I ignore it. Turn signals, do a search and you will find the answer:-)
        '80 XS1100 SG
        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Probably

I would pull off the right side cover in the area of the crank and look at the alternator. Dead battery is the first clue and the next is the noise. Hope it's not serious, but I fear that the coils came loose and the armature probably hitting it.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

thanks for your reply. This is TOO noisley to ignore! A REAL SQUEAL! I have run the bike before, and have never heard this squeal before I've had the battery problem. I guess I'll start by having the battery tested at a shop (probably old like me), but hope they don't recommend s-canning it. That doesn't bode well for me! Heh. Thanks again to all those that reply.
            Geno

Comment

Thanks Planedick, now that's a start, and gives me some hope. Nobody here but me and Clymer...well, and the you-know-who of the house. Gettin' to it.
              Geno

Comment

Well, I'll tell you what!...Planedick, you were right on!! I pulled the right cover, and only then did I notice the 3 coil bolts had backed out some...enough to let it rub like you suggested. Rusty, dusty inside the cover, but oh well, everything looked OK except for a small, but growing, I suspect, shiny rub mark. Put it all back together, and VROOOOOOM!!! You've made my day Planedick! Thanks from Whidbey Island...I'm afloat once again.
                Geno

Comment

Hi Geno,
                  and welcome to the list. If you are new to Yamahas you may not know this but all of Yamaha's designers went to Weird Harold's Engineering School. Didja know the engine runs backwards? Didja notice the front brake pads are tapered? OK, that's not relevant to your (now solved, it seems) funny noises & dubious charging but this is:-
                  Quick & Dirty charging test #1
                  Point the headlight at a nearby wall after dark and rev the motor. If the light gets brighter, it's charging.
                  Quick & Dirty charging test #2
                  Watch the tach. If the tach works, it's charging. This is because the tach counts the pulses on one of the wires from the alternator and no pulses = no charge.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks again to all that replied to my post. Great tests Fredintoon, simple too. I think my tach works OK, but I'll sure put it to the test. Yes, this Yamaha is different than the old Norton I rode "back then". It's kinda' jumpy on the throttle, and I guess the shaft drive makes shifts a little 'stout', but I like the power. Still trying to master the higher center of gravity in turns. Oh, and it's a 'chunk' to pick up! (Had to let it down the last foot, I couldn't hold it.) Gotter' done though! Had a sore back for a few days. Great tips here on this thread, on making tight turns..AND picking up a fallen Special. Heh, only lost a little bit of gas, and a little paint on my clutch handle. This is indeed a brotherhood of men!
                    Geno

Comment

Whidbey Island

Gene thanks for the PM.
                      Glad to see you gotter dun.
                      Looking forward to the Oyster Run this weekend
                      Dan
                      80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                      Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                      I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Gyrogearloose
                        No, this is definitely a squeal...little higher pitched than a pig..heh; maybe brushes? I undid the fusebox mtg. plate, and moved some wire harnesses around to get the battery box out. Done something I shouldn't have? We're talking neg. ground..right? when hooking the battery back up? Boy, I dunno at this point.
                        Doesn't the battery come out the other side like on the XS11s ??
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Doesn't the battery come out same side as XJ?

Yes, it comes out on the left hand side, but in order to get the battery box/case/holder out (needed cleaned up and painted), I had to undo the fuse box plate, and free the wires and harness from the battery box. Gotter done! AND....thanks again for the replies and the exact answer to my problem. Running better than ever (only had it a month). My first xs11. I love the upright seating position if offers and 'power qua'! Great for getting around locally. Not sure that I'd want to take it across country though.
                          Geno

Comment

Working...
                          X