DIAPHRAGM Needle removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIAPHRAGM Needle removal

I've done a search but found nothing on how to remove the needle assembly from the diaphragm.

Peering into it I can see a circlip. I've made feeble attempts to remove it but to no avail.

Do I need a circlip removal tool? Does anyone have a step by step? I have a schematic.

Dan.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Yep, the clip must come out. If you can find a removal tool that will fit down in there use it. I ground the handle end of a file to fit into the hole of the clip. Use 2 flat blade screwdrivers to install.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I made a special tool from a pair of long, thin needle nose pliers. Ground the ends of them on a grinder until they fit the condition. Takes a few minutes to modify the pliers but makes quick work of the clips after that.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

As far as the step by step part of your question, just watch how the parts come out and return them in the same order. there should be a spring, a wahser, a plastic holder and the needle itself. If your needle is adjustable there will be a small clip and five slots on the needle. The stock setting is in the middle. Lowering the clip will richen the midrange and raising the clip will lean the midrange out.

One other thing I do whenever I take out the diaphragms is rub a very small bit of baby powder on them before puting them back in. I do not know if it actually has any benefit but my diaphragms are still the originals. I used to do this on my wife's MGB (damn british cars) otherwise the rubber diaphragm would eventually crack.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
        X