New seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New seat

Well I bought my 80SG last spring and have been learning all about these bikes and enjoying every minute.

I bought a seat last week that was for a 80 G standard and not realizing it doesn't fit my SG . My ownership states my bike as a XS1100 G so I thought I was good to go when I bought the seat, just when you think you things are coming together I make a silly mistake like this .

My bike is running great now and the seat I have now will do until I find another so things could be worse. Guess I can always buy a 80G model for the seat.

Are there anyother parts that are not compatible between these two models?
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

????

Where you gonna put deer?? Shot a few nice racks that I packed out on shoulders (younger) but never on bike!! Had to walk after picking couple up at uncles (camp meat)

Comment

It would be nice to have a small trailer to tow behind my bike we don't get snow here some years until the middle of november. Might be the first in Canada to drag a dear home on the bike ,"red neck " or what eh!
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Bike trailer hitch

I saw a trailer hitch mount bracket for xs1100 for sale on ebay. Not sure if it will fit either standard or special model though. I have one on my 80G that also has mounts for removable hard bags. I haven't towed anything with it yet, but it's nice to know it's there in case I gotter bring a big King or Humpy home.
        80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
        Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
        I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

I bought a seat last week that was for a 80 G standard
          So....you don't need the seat? Got pics? PM me if you want to let it go.
          Some of above can be swapped.
          Engine/drive train same.

mro

Comment

I pulled a trailer around with my VT1100 for years. IT's been all over the NW states, and western Canada.

I pulled just the flat deck portion of it to Fred in toons, last month, but behind the car.

I've never carried a deer on it, behind the bike, but I did take a washing machine to the truck depot behind the Shadow once. That gets quite a few double takes.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

'Riding season is coming to an end but bow hunting season is here, now how can I mount that my "PSE Diablo" on my XS, haha!!!!"

Hi Tinman,
              vertically in a scabbard on the front forks just like grandpa carried his tommygun on his Harley 45 in WW2.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Seatability

Hi Tinman,
                me too with the XS11SG. Is it that the Standard seat plain ol' don't fit and you are making do with the (presumably ratty) Special seat the bike came with until you find another one? (BTW I got a good seat at a bargain from Andreas Weiss, check him out in the parts for sale section.) Or is it that the Standard seat will attach but looks funny?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Not sure if it will work on my forks with the fairing . I am tearing it down over the winter and restoring the old girl .Adding a big bore kit ,new paint ,chrome and definetly a new suspension.The seat I have is fine and has a tear at the back bottom and my saddle bags cover it up for now I just bought this seat to make it look a bit better until the winter comes.I have a cruiser style seat and was planning on recovering it too. Here's the seat on ebay that I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=010
                  BDF Special

Comment

This looks just like the OEM Seat for a 1980 1100SG like I have. I wish it had a little more beef towards the front of it for longer rides.
                    Past Rides:
                    1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                    1979 XS650 Special
                    1978 Honda CB750K
                    Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I thought it was for a 80 standard because the tail light will block the back of the seat ,that's why it doesn't fit the tail light assemble is in the way.
                      BDF Special

Comment

It's the grabrail

Hi Tinman,
                        the '80 Special has a cast aluminum grabrail that kicks up at the back and also mounts the tail light. As you say, that kickup is what stops the seat from fitting. The '80 Standard still has the tubular chrome grabrail that runs back straight. Mebbe the seat will fit if you lose the cast grabrail?
                        If you are taking the bike bowhunting you will be riding off the blacktop and onto farm or forest trails before you park? For that, it's advisable to remove the fairing as well as the grabrail. This makes room for your fork mounted bow scabbard and gives you space to mount a rear rack (for an ATV, that stuff tends to be 1/3rd the price of equivalent bike stuff) for carrying the deer home.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes it will be a lot of work to mount my bow and a deer rack to boot .It's a good thing I don't have my "Red Neck" certification . I think this year I will continue to use my Dakota it's much better when you leave the black top. Thanks guys .I will probably list on Ebay or sell it here .
                          BDF Special

Comment

Couldn't you just use some duct tape to attach the bow and to carry the deer out?

Comment

Great idea and I have lots of it at work ,free too.
                              BDF Special

Comment

Working...
                              X