Transmission Complete !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Complete !!!

If you can't tell by the title I'm a little "pumped" up. I finally got the clutch problem fixed!!!
    I'm not really sure what the initial problem was with the bike lurching, but I took the clutch back out made sure I had it back in by noting the clearance at the primary gear nut, and how far it fit back on the spindle. After I put everything back together I had the same lurching! I was ready to throw in the wrench and try again when it gets cold here, and remembered Tod saying he had a little trouble adjusting his clutch per manual. I loosened up the lock nut again and just turned the screw in despite feeling some tension and this time when I put it in gear the rear tire spun! Additional trips around the neighborhood resulted in the "lurch"again so I twisted the adjustment nut in a little more. I took the bike for a 15 minute test run, put 4.475 gals in the tank at the first gas station and the sputtering stopped
    I now have 5 gears again!!! WooHoo.
    Thanks again for all the help. Great learning experience, and the first repair of this magnitude.
    KW
    1982 XJ1100J
    1980 XS850SG

Congrats!! Nothing feels better than getting it done yourself.

Except maybe that first ride afterwards!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
    X