Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Squeel when parking

Hello,
    Are the front brakes supposed to squeal when you go full turn on the steering? Whenever I park the bike it squeals but, only at full left or right.
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

I have had that before with high metallic pads. Not sure what causes it but I think a part of it is fork flex or something.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

A buddy of mine once suggested that on our older bikes with the leading edge on the pads being square some binding may occur which can cause a squeal. The solve is to take out the pads and grind a chamfer into the leading edge. I notice new pads are made already with a chamfer.
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

My front pads do have the chamfer, so I guess it's normal for the forks to flex like that. Gotta put that fork brace on already...lol

Thanks guys.

Comment

front brake squeal and sticking

I have had a problem with my front brakes for some time now. It started out they would squeal on turns, them just this past month they started to grab when going straight. I did the spuge hole clean and bleed but it came back so I figured I'll bleed some fluid to release it and then just not use the front brakes. Work for a bit, then this morning I headed out to Annatcorates for the oyster run. Everything fine then the front end strarted shaking and vibrating. I pulled over and sure enought the left brake was hotter than heck and the brakes seemed to be grabbing the disc when I lifted the front tire and turned it by hand. I was going to o the bleed thing again and started thinking what else it could be. I looked closely at the caliper and disc on the left side. The disc seemed to be touching the caliper housing and scrapping. I broke out my tools and checked the axel clamp bolts (I have a standard) on the left side. Sure enough one was pretty loose and other wasn't very tight either. I guy came out of his house and offered to help. He had a barn full of tools (right place to pull over). I borrowed a large "c" clamp and a piec of cardboard. I pulled the left fork in with very little pressure on the clamp centered the disc between the caliper housing. No more problems all day so I think problem solved (hope I don't jinx myself) Soooo if you have simular problem check your axel clamp bolts and make sure the disc is riding centered in the caliper.
          80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
          Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
          I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

That's a great idea. I just replaced my front tire about a month ago too. I will double check everything. I did use a cheap torque wrench to mount it so it may be off a bit.

Whidbey Island? Cool... I'll be at the Superman Jet Rally next year....

Comment

Working...
            X