backfiring, misfiring HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backfiring, misfiring HELP!!!!!

I am having problems with #1 and 4 they wont fire properly. They are backfiring like crazy. Here is what I have tried so far. I have all new plugs (correct PN for this bike) I have accel coils on the bike because I was having problems years ago with the stock ones. I have checked them and they are giving me a reading of 4 ohms. Is this ok?
    I have put my original coils back on the bike to see if that made a difference, it did not. I did replace the pick up coils when I got the bike in 01, I did check them and they read 760 ohms and 758 ohms, so as far as I can tell they are good. I swapped the accel coils left to right to see if one had a problem, but the problem stayed with #1 and 4. this is my 2nd set of carbs, they are immaculate inside, no stuck or broken needles. I have checked the plug wires even swapped them, no help. I checked the power wires from the TCI unit to the coils, .6 ohms, good. I am on my 3rd TCI unit, so I know that is not my problem. I have completely rebuilt the engine from the ground up. It is timed perfectly, and I have the TB about the timming change from 31 deg. To 36 deg. She runs extremely strong just backfires like MAD. My compression is 1- 168psi, 2-165psi, 3-150psi, 4-162psi. all good. My grounds are good as far as I know. Ground from TCI to battery is .4 ohms. Please help, I am almost to the point of getting a stand alone ignition system.
    79' XS1100SF

i fixed the backfireing, it was the the ground from the battery to the chassis. i tested it and it was on the cusp. so i took it off and cleaned it just to do it and it runs on all cylinders now.
    79' XS1100SF

Comment

1 and 4 share electoral but not fuel supply so check your coils and electoral that service 1 and 4
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
      X