Sight Window..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sight Window..........

I noticed that my sight window for checking the oil is a little hazy, I'd like to try to clean it but really don't know how to get it out, I don't want to break it. It looks to be pressed in maybe? Has a rubber seal and the metal cage around it. I thought of maybe just trying to go in around the cage with a Q-tip and some alcohol, or carb cleaner? Thanks!!
    1980 XS 1100 Special SG
    "White Lightning"

Lazy fix

r00sty,

When there's a milky haze in the sight glass this is normally caused by condensation in the engine when it has only been used on short runs. Normally worse in winter time too - at least over this way.

My way to clean it up is to wait for a good day and go for a long ride somewhere far enough away to get the engine up to temperature for a little while. This should get the moisture out of the engine enough to stop it emulsifying with the oil (which is what the white stuff is).

'Course, if you are planning take the engine cover off then you can directly access it. Personally I wouldn't mess around trying to poke things down to clean the glass as I'm usually unlucky and 'cack-handed' enough to drop anything like that - then you'll be stuck with draining the oil and taking the engine case cover off anyway!
    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
    Guzzi 850
    Z1000

Comment

Sorry about the confusion........

I understand what you are saying, and I'm sorry I was not more specific. I just did my 2nd gear fix so my motor was apart, now all I need to do is clean this window, put the cover back on, and the motor will be back together. So yes, I have access to the inside, that's how I know what is holding it in, kinda, and how I know the cage is there. I guess I'll just Q-tip it the best I can and hope for the best. Thanks for the reply!
      1980 XS 1100 Special SG
      "White Lightning"

Comment

Re: Sorry about the confusion........

Originally posted by r00sty
        I just did my 2nd gear fix so my motor was apart, now all I need to do is clean this window, put the cover back on, and the motor will be back
        Try shotting a little carb cleaner on the window.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: Sorry about the confusion........

"SHOOTING", not "shotting!"

Try shotting a little carb cleaner on the window. [/B][/QUOTE]
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

LMFAO........

Thanks skids, you made me laugh, I needed that!!
            1980 XS 1100 Special SG
            "White Lightning"

Comment

Hi All
              You could always get a dipstick at
              http://www.xs1100.co.uk/martini/1024/dipstik.htm
              Mike Farnworth
              XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

Working...
              X