Tranny "Dremel fix" Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny "Dremel fix" Q

I need to repair my 1st and 2nd gear, and after reading up on the tech articles, I have a question.

There seems to be 2 methods, Laying the bike upside down, and keeping her right side up.

My question is this;

Can the bike be laid on its side and worked on, or does this cause other problems?

I do have a bike lift, so I can get it off the floor.

Thanks in advance.

Never listen to me.

However, if you can get under the thing easily, well that's the way I'd go.

Dan
    Guru in waiting.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

If you CAN flip the bike, and put it upside down on the lift, you WILL like results. It puts the transmission parts at an easy to reach location, and keeps the back from hurting. It also makes it MUCH easier to put in the shift forks, IMHO.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Ozzie,

Part of the problem with on its side is that you need access to both sides to remove parts, the bearing cover and 5th gear from the countershaft, the other side the shift fork shaft and gear shift parts!

As has been reported on, the shift forks are a PITA to put back into place when they are sitting above you, can fall out and hit you on your head, sometimes you need a third hand to handle everything!

Another technique is using a hoist and raising the front of the bike up like doing a wheelie and almost pulling it up over backwards!

I've done 3 repairs....on 3 separate bikes, and IMHO putting it on it's back is the way to go!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, I printed off your "step by Step" and the bike is ready to flip!
          I'll get some help today, and hopefully have it back on the road by this weekend.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I never really understood this; I can have the engine out of my bike and on the bench in little over an hour...... Why risk dropping the bike, crushing mudguards, (which I know some of you have done!) or even crushing yourselves to save pulling the engine out?

They are heavy, but not as heavy as the whole bike. There are a couple of good tips on here about how to (Safely!!) get the motor out on your own. With a buddy, it is easy.

AlanB
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Did mine with motor out, found it relatively straight forward that way. Not too much to take out motor, also allows a good cleaning of everything better putting back together.
              Ernie
              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

meant "before" putting back together.

Sorry
                Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
                  Hi Guys,

I never really understood this; I can have the engine out of my bike and on the bench in little over an hour...... Why risk dropping the bike, crushing mudguards, (which I know some of you have done!) or even crushing yourselves to save pulling the engine out?

They are heavy, but not as heavy as the whole bike. There are a couple of good tips on here about how to (Safely!!) get the motor out on your own. With a buddy, it is easy.

AlanB
                  For me if I pull the engine to fix the trans I'll end up doing very very bad things with the powdercoater the chrome plater and the polisher. And won't have anything to ride until 2 years from now.
                  I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Its hard to stop once you're started...
                    Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by egsols
                      Its hard to stop once you're started...
                      So I guess if I do it over the winter ( providing I can find a place) I am garageless at the moment,then re and re the engine would be the way to go. Hope I find a place with heat.
                      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Not to rob the post but is there anyone in Michigan that will do this repair for me on a 79 XS11????

Comment

Thanks to all who commented on this thread, I pull it apart today, repaired 1st and 2nd, and all is well.

I start tomorrow at the new job, so I am glad I got it finished.

Bike runs great!

Comment

How difficult did you find doing it?
                            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

No problems at all. Flipped the bike with the help of 2 others, easy access to everything, and following the printed instructions on the Tech Tips page, it went very smoothly. The "dogs' are quite easily shaped with a dremel tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X