Zilla gone topless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zilla gone topless

I've had Zilla with a top case for about a year now. A few months ago I saw a guy a that had his top case (trunk) off a Venture Royale. He was working on it and didn't really pay much attention but I thought the bike looked really slick without the top case...so........

I took mine off just to see what it looked like. Definitely more "sporty"... Kinda sorta has a Road Glide look.

Here's the bike with the top case.

Now topless...

I can change it back in about 30 minutes.

Feeback?

I like it much better without the top box looks like one of the new sports tourers kinda
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

If looks are more important than function...

I prefer having the trunk, and what it looks like is less important to me than the the usefulness of the bike. However, on my Shadow, I left the trunk off, most the time and put it on for trips. It wasn't the looks as much as the fact the trunk rattled.

It depends on what class you want to compete in. It may LOOK like one of the sport cruisers...

Better question is why do you only have 1 lower on?
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Looks like the Governor just lost her back rest! I do think it looks better without, but the practicalities of it for the long trips outweighs the looks. Know what I mean Vern?

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

One lower???

The top photo is with both lowers on. The others the lowers are off. Where do you think you only see one lower?

Tod...

The "Governor" told me the trunk goes back on for Talihina. No biggie since it only takes about 30 minutes to bolt it up and plug the lights in.

However I have a matched padded backrest that will snap onto the stock XJ sissy bar you now see. It is slick.

But just for rattin' around town and short trips the topless version is not only much sleeker looking but takes a lot of top heavy weight off the bike. The trunk...rack and lights weighs about 25 lbs...and that is noticable sitting up that high.

Comment

Trunk off looks good. Trunk on looks good too, just adds a "trippin'" look. Pretty sporty kinda bare that way.
            Sure looks like fall is happening on the prairie.
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Heh, just saw it on the one side, on one picture.

BTW speaking of plugging in the trunk, and idea where I can pick up the male part of the hook-up?

The trunk I just picked up doesn't have the bike side electrics to go with it.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Topless? By all means, the topless look is nice. Too bad, in the second photo, it didn't have one more big headlight. Now that would be something to see!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

I like it with the top off
                  and with the lowers on,

I hope u wear sunglasses on a bright day,
                  the shine on zilla would blind u. :-)
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

topless rules

It looks great with the big box off. Nice,clean xj,,,,I wish mine looked that good. Just wondering if the back turn signals are visible...it looks like they are sort of hidden by the side bags. Just for safety hoping the crazy cagers can see you ok from the side and back. Now I want to remove my top bag and backrest also. Anyway xj1100 on.
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

Craz - My trunk didn;t have the plug either. I just wired it in with individual male/female plugs.

Ken - Don't temp me! I've seriously considered taking the Vetter to a body guy and having it refitted for two side by side headlamps.

Soccer - The reason you don't see blinkers is THERE ARE NONE...yet. I haven't had time to wire them in yet. Will do that tomorrow.

Comment

You all know my utter disdain for Harley's. However there s ONE and one only I have a soft spot for. It's the Road Glide. The main reason is the Road Glide is the only HD with a frame mounted fairing. The rest have thos hideous fork mounted things. Anyway Zilla topless seems to have a little "Road Glide" Vibe... a dontcha think!

except Zilla would destroy this thing in a street fight....and...and....Zilla has a huge leg up on this bike....

CHROME FENDERS!!!

Comment

On my E I used a flat 4 prong trailer connector for the wiring to my trunk. Currently <pun?> only using the tail and brake wires. No turn signals on the trunk, yet.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Don't want to hijack Maxi's thread, maybe we need to start a Vetter Refurb one!

I was looking at some 1157 LED bulbs. They are highly directional, but I think they would work well in the trunk, so as not to add too much load to the system?

The bulbs are $14 ea though.

'05 ST1300

Comment

CNUK

Have you never looked at my mod on the Vetter trunk? I stole the idea from Ray. It removes the stock 1157 recepts and replaces them with two oval truck LEDs. And the darn thing is bright as a welder!

Comment

Working...
                              X