No announcement yet.

Too part or to repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was digging through reciepts PO gave me with bike. Looks like they had spent over $3000 on engine work, carb work (numerous times), tires, wiring, tank coating, exhaust, seat recovering....Funny thing though only 2000 kms put on since 1996 to time I bought for $600.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Picked up my 79 XS1100 Special last spring for $580 on ebay +a tank of gas to go pick it up in Tennessee. Thing was leaking oil everywhere. PO said that it needed a new head gasket and second gear fix. But turned out it just needed a valve cover gasket. Sprayed it off and it cleaned up really good. I rode it for a couple weeks ran good. I haven't ridden it for a couple months now though. I want to fix the gear first. I also need to replace one of the pistons because one of the PO helicoiled #3 sparkplug and shavings got in and messed up the piston pretty good. I replaced the head with 80sg. Now it needs a valve adjustment and carbs cleaned. I had the bike on ebay a few weeks ago trying to sell because I really want to be out there riding. But I ended up not selling it. The more I looked at this bike while it was on ebay the more potential I saw in it and decided I am going to do the work. Money invested so far

Bike+Title+license+pickup $800
      Clubman Bars $25
      Complete Gasket Set $95
      Complete Transmission $75
      Cylinder head $125
      Changed Fluids $20
      Needs new tires $200

Things I want to do

Paint
      Powder coat frame and parts
      Stainless Steel lines
      Going to have a guy at work build me some new Headers.

Comment

Working...
      X