Clunk and lurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk and lurch

I have adjusted my clutch as per the manual and have rid the slip I was experiencing when I first got the bike. I am sure it has alway done this but when I put the bike in first from neutral it shifts hard into gear and sometimes, not always, the bike lurches forward. Should I put a little more force on the adjuster as opposed to having it just contact the clutch?

I fear I may be doing damage to the transmission.

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Should not lurch when putting into gear.
    If clutch adjusted propery, both at the side cover and handle then your cable may have stretched....

Not unusall for small "clunk" going into gear.

mro

Comment

Thanks mro!

Did a quick search and found some more info. I'll lower my idle speed down as well, it was around 1500 rpm. I may try a new cable too!

Seems to me my xs 400 clunked into first as well.

Cheers,

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

1500 rpm will clunk pretty good,
        XSpecially first start up of the day.

mro

Comment

Which direction to tighten or loosen the clutch when adjusting at the side cover? How much play should there be at the grip?

I get a little creep on mine after I adjusted. I get slippage at high RPM when I really crank the throttle, but I figure that's age and try not to do that too much.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

To adjust the clutch at the side cover, you loosen the cable at the grip, loosen the lock nut while holding the screw at the side cover, turn the screw clockwise until it just touches, back out about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn, and tighten the lock nut. You then readjust the cable at the lever so the last 10mm, or ~1/4", is free.
            Clutch should be good after that. If you still get slipping in high gear, at high RPM's, try replacing the clutch springs.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That's what it says in Clymer. But it's the "just touches" that gets me. I couldn't tell where that point was. I think the clutch cable may need to be replaced.

I've read about the clutch springs. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle that yet.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I find that if I make those adjustments at the handlebars when the bike / engine is cold the cables will have excess slack when the bike / engine is up to full operating temperature. If I do it when the bike / engine is hot the cables are too tight when the bike engine is cold. So I split the difference and adjust my cable play at the handle bars when the bike is warm but not at full operating temperature.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                  I find that if I make those adjustments at the handlebars when the bike / engine is cold the cables will have excess slack when the bike / engine is up to full operating temperature. If I do it when the bike / engine is hot the cables are too tight when the bike engine is cold. So I split the difference and adjust my cable play at the handle bars when the bike is warm but not at full operating temperature.
                  Rob
                  Thanks Rob!

Did you reroute your clutch cable? Did it make any difference?

Paul
                  Paul
                  1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                  1979 XS1100 Standard
                  1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                  X