Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signal lights

hey everyone,
    i seem to have a problem with my front signal lights. my rt front is a three wire with a ground,red wire and blk with white stripe, my left is a 2 wire with a chocolate and ground wire when the hazards are turned on all lights work(flash) when i try to use the switch to use sinal lights they come on but do not flash, i thought it might be the relay so i replaced it still doing the same thing.. iknow there is someone out there with an xj1100 that can help me get these lights working so i can get back on the road thanx guys..fish

Sorry if this sounds stupid but did you turn off the hazard lights first the turn signals won't flash the hazards are on. I had a similar problem and opened up my switch the hazard part of the switch was corroded.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

If same as the XS, then most likely a bad connection.
      Would clean connectors for the rear too which are normally the ones that cause your condition on the XS. Rear turns are grounded under the bolt that holds turn in place and likes to get a little corrosion which allows turns to come on but not flash.

mro

Comment

BTW

Hazzord uses seperate flasher, so turn flasher could be bad but most likely bad ground.

mro

Comment

Hey Fishbone,

Just reviewed the wiring diagram, and the XJ does have front running lights, SO.... the PO switched one of your lights!

The colors should be BLUE...running, Black ground, and chocolate and Dark Green for left and right signal lights respectively! You'll need to get into the headlight bucket to see what wires are connected to the colors for the light sockets you described!

But like you said, the ER flashers work, and they use a separate POWER supply and flasher unit, but they still run thru the handlebar switches!

What I mentioned to you in my PM yesterday was slightly incorrect in which wires you needed to swap! The wires where the flasher plugs in that you want to use are the Brown/white and the solid Brown ones, not the Yellow/Green!

But these are in different locations compared to the XS's, and so what I said about needed to swap these two wire locations is correct, so that a 2 prong flasher will work. I had to do this with a fellow XJ'er's flasher plug to get a 2 prong flasher to work with it! Have you checked the turn signal fuse. The ER flasher runs off a different power line!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Iwas just taking a peek at your e-mail and as a fellow xj rider agree with topcat. I would go so far as to suggest that perhaps the signal lights you have are aftermarket/replacements or the PO has made some mods.

As TC indicated I'm sure the answer lies inside the headlight housing. I would start by removing the signal lights and verifying the destination of the wires behind the actual signal light and what is missing from the one with only two wires.
            "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
            84xj1100
            82xj1100

Comment

Working...
            X