bore job for headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bore job for headers?

The kid I got this bike from must have heard from his friends about drilling holes in the end of stock pipes. Are the holes going to lessen the performance on a set of jardine aftermarket headers?
    It is obviosly louder, and somewhere in the bikes past, someone must of had a little knowlage of what was going on. Headers, k & N filters and probably carb jetting. Is the backyard soup-up job going to give me real ugly spark plugs?

TopCatGr58, thanks for the help wih the photos, I suffer from a N.A.V.Y. (NEVER AGAIN VOLUNTEER YOURSELF) defficiancy!
    We will have to redirect over to the lounge sometime and swap lies. CFAO-AIMD, Okinawa 1989-1993

Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Hey Barberad,

Well, I was a "dry water" sailor, and got out after 6 years myself!

I've got a 4-1 set of pipes on mine, with Indy filters, and I drilled 4 holes in my baffle to give it a little more "throat". I've had no problems with the extra holes vs the no holes version. I have gone up just 3 jet sizes from stock on my mains, and have decent tan plug color and performance! The XJ is a little different in tuning the carbs mostly for the idle/pilot circuit in needing to temporarily seal off the YICS channels in the head during vacuum synching, but aside from that, you shouldn't necessarily have ugly plugs...providing they picked a right set of jets!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have an 81H with 4-1 Jardines, a K&N single drop-in replacement filter. My Jardind started running the bike poorly when the cone at the end of the exhaust came loose. From 2800 to like 3800 rpms there was not enough vacuum to open the automatic petcocks. I had to switch the petcocks to prime just to keep fuel flowing. Everything was fine again when I rivoted and sealed the cone in place.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X