Fairing for XJ1100J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing for XJ1100J

I have a lead on a Vetter Fairing - I don't know at this point what model it is, and I have a picture, but I can't post attachments to the forum. I'd like to know if it can be installed on my Maxim XJ1100. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to find out the Vetter model. I can email the picture to you if that will help (or tell me how I can attach a jpeg to a forum message for all to see).

Thanks.
    Roger Tucker
    Memphis, TN

I'm thinking that any of the windjammer types will work IF you can come up with a mounting bracket. I have seen them recently on ebay for cheap.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

RE: Fairing for XJ1100J

Thanks - I did find out that it's a Windjammer 3.
      Roger Tucker
      Memphis, TN

Comment

You need 3 components to mount a Windjammer to your XJ.

Fairing
        Mounting bracket
        "Pigtail" electrical cord to wire fairing into bike electrical system

Vetter made the fairings the same and produced mounts for each model of bike. (Exception is some custom made Kawasaki fairings.) So, you need to find an XS/XJ mount...same mount fits both series frames. $25.00 - $50.00 is not uncommon for the mount.

The 'Pigtail' is a wiring harness that plugs into the fairing on the left side of the fairing. The other end runs into the headlight shell and connects to the headlight and turn light wiring. Price runs $10.00 - $20.00. Wiring diagrams are available on the Tech Tips page, I think. If not, I have it somewhere...let me know if you need it.

Headlight removal. I have a Windjammer IV on my XJ, did not need to remove the headlight shell to fit it. If you get the optional radio module for the Vetter it may interfere with the headlight shell and you will have to remove it. Removal was common, BTW, and the wiring wrapped with tape to cover everything.

Vetter did make a rubber 'cap' to use in place of the headlight, which was normally removed to install in the fairing. I paid $5.00 for a cap at a salvage yard. Cap installs under the headlight trim ring to cover the headlight opening.

On the XJ you will have to relocate the stock horns, as the bracket interferes with the mounts. I bent a couple angle brackets and mounted the horns a bit further out than stock, needed to extend the wiring a bit to do so, but no real problems.

Switching from a naked bike to a fairing takes a bit of getting used to, as some of your visual clues are gone. However, you do adjust quickly.

Two comments that may be unique to my set-up. First, snaps that hold pigtail to fairing were broken, and I had to use a cable tie to keep the connection from pulling apart on trips. Watch the routing of the cable so it does not interfere with any other controls.

Second, the IV has a lockable right-hand cover. Lock was gone from mine, but I found a generic lock at my local True Value hardware store that went right in.

How to include a photo with your post....

First, you need to have a hosting service where you can park a photo. Most ISPs give you some disk space on a server at no extra charge for this purpose. Check with your service or company network people; some businesses have a public place you can use. You may have to set up an FTP session to transfer the photo from your PC to the host computer, not difficult and your provider can help you set this up. I use a free program called Fetch, but there are many programs out there for this purpose for either PC or Mac platforms. Once you have the photo parked, write down the address of the photo. Typically it will be something like:

http://www.service_provider.net/user...ory/image_name

Next time you are composing a message for the list, click on the IMG button located above the text block. In the box that pops up, enter the address (URL) of your photo. Click the OK button. Thats it. To make sure it works, use the "Preview Reply" button before you post your message. You should see your photo in your post.

Good luck!
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X