Carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb parts

I am rebuilding some XS carbs and I am wondering if anyone knows of cheaper alternatives to the little ring gaskets under the float valves of the '70s carbs and the o-rings for the push-in float valve seats of the 80's. The cheapest I have found the 70s for is $5 each and the 80s o-rings for around $3 each. Just seems like a lot for what they are.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Re: Carb parts

The fiber washers can be found in some hardware stores. Same with the orings--just make sure they are nitryl butyl rubber (or "nitryl rubber" for short) so that they are gasoline proof.

Originally posted by 81xsproject
    I am rebuilding some XS carbs and I am wondering if anyone knows of cheaper alternatives to the little ring gaskets under the float valves of the '70s carbs and the o-rings for the push-in float valve seats of the 80's. The cheapest I have found the 70s for is $5 each and the 80s o-rings for around $3 each. Just seems like a lot for what they are.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I bought a bag of about a hundred or so o-rings from McMaster Carr supply for pretty cheap, maybe a couple of bucks IIRC. I used a couple, and now have lots of spares. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll fix you up.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I'll have some o-rings in the mail to 81xsproject this week, and still have lots left if anybody else needs some.

Here's a link to McMaster Carr's website :

9262K124
        (Same as 9262K41)
        Metric Buna-N O-Ring 1.5 mm Width, 7 mm ID
        In stock at $5.88 per Pack
        This product is sold in Packs of 100

With a bag of 100, and a 'buy-it-now' price on Ebay of $5.00 each, plus shipping and handling, for these 'genuine XS11 parts', you could pay for next summer's vacation!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Ken,

Thanks for that info. This brings me to a question. I'm trying to think of how many O-rings are used on our machines, and what their "generic" sizes are. I think a useful tech tip would be one that would list all of these O-rings, their locations, and the required sizes so folks would know what to look for at their local hardware store, or McMasterCarr!

This is a good start, and if "we" can get many more responses, then it'll be easy to condense the info into a tech tip!

I know when I did my Tranny repair years ago, I had to find one to replace the Oil Pump O-ring. I found a Standard size #14, 15/16" OD x 3/4" ID, x 3/32" thickness fit just fine even though I'm sure it's a metric ring!

I recently had to replace the O-ring on the oil galley plug under the alt cover, I'll look for my post about it, cause I think I posted it's size.
          Found it, seemed it should be 13mm ID, and about 2.25mm thick, found some standard sized 1/2" ID, 3/32"=2.38mm thick ones and they do work, no leaks!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just sent a PM to John about o-rings for the pilot screws on the later model carbs. McMAster-Carr's listing for them follows:

9262K441
            (Same as 9262K41)
            Metric Buna-N O-Ring 1 mm Width, 3 mm ID
            In stock at $12.40 per Pack
            This product is sold in Packs of 100

These are a bit more expensive than the larger ones for the press-in float valve, but still not bad, even for a bag of 100.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X